Any tips for windscreen removal!

Page 1 / 2
jasongroves, Dec 8, 7:06am
Need to remove a windscreen on an '89 Corona.
Only type I have done before are the ones with the removable rubber strip (easy).
So far I have only removed the chrome trim, wipers and lower plastic vent cover.
Is there an easy way to cut through the seal without forking out for a removal tool!
Thanks all.

kevymtnz, Dec 8, 7:11am
make a hole in a corner and use some wire like clothes line
but still need 2 people

jasongroves, Dec 8, 7:19am
Thanks. Will test that out on the broken screen:)

gunhand, Dec 8, 7:19am
Heat it up first real hot and it should slide through better.

joanie32, Dec 8, 7:21am
Park it in the sun on a hot day, you will be surprised how much easier that makes it.

bjdw, Dec 8, 7:22am
Brick

andrea_w, Dec 8, 7:25am
I used steel fishing trace to 'saw' through the black goo. you need 2 people though, one on the inside, one on the outside. I think I used a sharp knife to make the initial hole to poke the steel trace through.
Once you have 'sawed' through it all (it still sticks back down onto itself), get in the car and very gently but firmly push the windscreen with your feet. 2 people on the inside may be better and 1 on the outside to help by cutting the stringy goo with a sharp knife.

Someone else will probably have a better method. but it seemed to work for me

rob_man, Dec 8, 7:25am
Some you can get out with a box cutter, cut from the inside parallel with the glass and then make a cut from the outside that intersects with that one.

jasongroves, Dec 8, 7:35am
Pretty sure thats how it got broken.

jasongroves, Dec 8, 7:37am
Have managed to make a hole that the wire fits through.
Might get a heat gun and some steel wire tomorrow:)
Made the initial cuts with the good old Stanley knife.

ema1, Dec 8, 9:07am
Central Otago Heat Jason, you can get a piano type special cutter wire from glass firms. Aburns would likely have it.
Make a hole as already been said, now with the wire thread it through the hole and have about half to 2/3rds of a metre of wire there , tie a piece of wood eg a short piece of broom stick say 10cm long onto each end of wire to use as handle grips which will make the cutting job easy peazy mate , done heaps like that.
It's easier with 2 people one on each end puling the wire back & forth.
Cuts real clean when you get the knack of it mate. Cheers .John.

gunhand, Dec 8, 9:08am
Or a couple of pairs of vice grips works to. You can use welding wire but it snaps to often lol.

jasongroves, Dec 8, 9:08am
Sounds like the go John, will give the local glass firms a bell tomorrow:)
Thanks for that.

jasongroves, Dec 8, 9:13am
I can get plenty of welding wire:)

gunhand, Dec 8, 9:14am
If you double it up and twist it together it lasts abit longer. But it does work. 0.8 mite be stronger than the 0.6 used to use.

jasongroves, Dec 8, 9:16am
Well, I've got plenty to try tomorrow:)
Am practising on the broken screen first so I can hopefully remove the donor screen without rooting it.lol.

gunhand, Dec 8, 9:17am
just watch your trim you can chew into pretty quick if ya not paying attention.

jasongroves, Dec 8, 9:19am
Will do.
Thanks all. Hopefully things go well (will take my time).

mrfxit, Dec 8, 9:14pm
An alternative wire is the same stuff is pushbike brake cables.
Same cable used for remote boot releases in cars

pieman33h, Dec 9, 9:35am
B.F.H. (big f. hammer) get some duraseal or similar and cover wind screen first, will come out in one big (shattered) piece.Many layers of wide sellotape works too, heh you use what you have.

jasongroves, Dec 9, 9:51am
Have pretty much got it out.
Used an old cable from a boot release wound around a small pipe on each end.
Works pretty well, but on the left and right hand side it cracked slightly in the same spot each side. I'm guessing there are glass tabs there!
On the good screen I will spend more time in those areas removing the seal with a Stanley knife.

snoopy221, Dec 9, 9:56am
Why not just pop round a coupla windscreen places and panelbeaters.
price of experienced removal is cheaper than price of screen-even moreso when it's aged a few years.one crack is one 2 many

jmma, Dec 9, 10:06am
Maybe the wreckers will let you practice on a couple before they go in the crusher.

jasongroves, Dec 9, 10:09am
I'm practising on one at the moment:)

snoopy221, Dec 9, 10:13am
practisingmmmkay
honestly old screens go brittle-not good when ya fit one and a moth later it cracks all on it's lonesome.
se if i can find a cheap site 4 ya