Certificate in Automotive Panel and Paint

iron-maiden, Feb 9, 4:23am
has anyone done it! looking at getting into this but being a woman im not sure ill get taken seriously,but ive done my own repairs and paint onmy cars and they have turned out great would love to do it as my job

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 5:32am
Haven't done it but did my trade (car painter) 27 years ago. I say go for it, you will get taken seriously if you're serious 'bout doin it. I know 'bout 5 female car painters and they are very good. Females win colour matching competitions regularly, seems they have a better eye for it.

kaymay88, Feb 9, 7:30am
I for one wish more women would get involved in these types of trades. if its what you want, go for gold. he two women Ive known who were a mechanic and a panel beater, were about the best in their field that I had ever met.

gunhand, Feb 9, 7:37am
Plenty of females doing it so go for it. If you dont get respect get out of that enviroment asap as all you will be perceived as a threat to guys with small weaners and many other insecurities. But hopefully in this day age that isnt so.
Good luck it is a fun and rewarding career. Its great to see a car getting round with your paint on it.

attitudedesignz, Feb 9, 7:39am
So true.

iron-maiden, Feb 9, 7:31pm
thanks alot,ive found one running at ucol just need to work out if i can do it as it starts at 8 am and i live 40mins away.and one of the days im working so may have to give up that day of work to do it.i would just walk into one of the panel and paint shops here and ask to be an apprentis but i dout they would do it with me not haven that Certificate

gunhand, Feb 10, 3:36am
If you could find a painter/ beater willing to take you on and show you the ropes as you go you may well find you come out better off than some certificate will achieve.
I dont pretend to know what they teach but from what i know it has alot of useless information to it like most modern polytech type courses. There more interested in teaching you how to answer the phone and tie your shoelaces than painting.
As an example I had a fella come work for us who was almost finished some course/apprentaship and he hadnt even used 2k paints etc. This wasnt that long ago.
Between myself and our paint rep we showed him more than any course did.
Hands on is the best way i reckon. Having a good eye for colour and colour matching is a big thing as some systems require major reworking.
You need to start at the bottom and work up but sounds like you have a good grounding anyway. If you could present something you have done it may help.
Do you want to do resto or day to day workor both!

iron-maiden, Feb 10, 5:11am
anything lol im fair good painter and drawer ,i just got a r32 skyline paint work not flash so im going to jump in deep end paint it my self,would love just to paint any car,old new learn airbrushing ect just sick of being a checkout chick not alot of money in it and i have two kids,i do not want to be doing the same job i have no love in

gunhand, Apr 2, 4:48pm
The trouble these days is the price of materials. It kind of puts a damper on the practise thing lol. If you have good rythem and can apply even coats you should be fine. Its always interesting to see people go all jerky when trying to spray.
Start with simple BC colours and try to aviod silvers and the like for a start.
Clear is easy enough if you dont over apply it and make it run. Especially in the first coat as it will drag the BC and make it go dark in that place.And that can not be buffed out.
As for airbrushing, I tried but didnt have the patients. Couldnt get the paint to go through the gun properly so got snotty with it.
There is good money if your any good at painting and get into the right shop. and theres always the back yarders but they useually want everything for nothing, or less.