Honda City Front Hub Nuts

mrsdoobercoons, Dec 21, 9:31am
I'm trying to undo the front hub nut on an 86 City, to change a wheel bearing, with out much success.

It's bloody tight. It doesn't seem to have been undone since new and has been punched into the spline and onto the thread.

Has anyone struck this before and have a solution!

Cheers, Graeme.

stan114, Dec 21, 9:33am
A rattle gun usually does the trick. They can be very hard to undo with just a socket and ratchet.

mrsdoobercoons, Dec 21, 9:35am
Yeah, I've broken a 1/2" ratchet tonight trying, bugger??

stan114, Dec 21, 9:37am
MAybe drive to a workshop and ask them to loosen the nut for you. And then just tighten it up enough so you can get it loose at home. In which town are you!

snoopy221, Dec 21, 9:40am
Wheels on da ground brakzen ooonnn hard.
Good quality 1/2 inch (or 3/4) drive BAR-[never never ever a ratchet-it'll break-LOL]
And a 3 or 4 foot length of pipe around that bar.
[five or six weetbix-and undoooosises]

mrsdoobercoons, Dec 21, 9:42am
I'm in Queenstown, so it's pretty unlikely that any of the workshops around here will be into that.

I'll try putting a stiff pressure on it with a long bar and giving the end of the socket a few sharp taps with a hammer, that might make it let go.

I was wondering if they aren't single use nuts and you take them off with a nut splitter!

mrsdoobercoons, Dec 21, 9:43am
Yep, it broke

mrsdoobercoons, Dec 21, 9:44am
I'll give it another go tomorrow, see how I get on.

Thanks guys.

stan114, Dec 21, 9:44am
A long bar should do the trick. The nuts can be re-used. Have done so many a time.Good luck mate

snoopy221, Dec 21, 9:50am
I was wondering if they aren't single use nuts and you take them off with a nut splitter!

NOPE.
juss more weetbix.
and a longer stronger stiffer bar.
[adds-and not a ratchet-it'll break]

a18a, Dec 21, 10:07am
i welded a socket to a old axle, that always does the job for me

snoopy221, Dec 21, 10:27am
i run a coupla porta power extensions-both about 3 feet-they slot on to a power bar nicely and clip together-and ya'll neva break em.
Other **tip**

set ya bar/pipe up on zeeoffending nut so ya LIFTING onthe end of ya bar and ya height setting is so ya can use ya legs, arms and all.