What to look out for when buying a 99 Falcon!

bjdw, Dec 22, 7:23am
Mate's looking at buying a 99 6cyl falcon.Is there anything in particular she should look out for in these things before buying! (Other than the fact that it has the wrong coloured badge on it ;-P )

gunhand, Dec 22, 7:38am
How many KMs on it!They can have some rust issues in some seams in boot area and boot lid hinge area. Also up under the parcel tray, it seems they forgot to paint under there.
Power window switchs always give greif at some point.
Make sure trans changes nice and has been serviced at some point.
Rotors can warp, not that expensive.
Brakes are not the best in the business.
Prone for some coolentand oil leak in rear main seal.
Seat belt fraying.
Noisy diffs if abused in the past.
But all thes issues are no worse than any other car out there of same age.
All in all not bad cars at all and if you keep your boot off it there surprisingly economical to run for a big car.
If you get a well loved one you shouldnt go wrong but a well used and abused looking one may give issue.

bjdw, Dec 22, 7:46am
Cheers Gun.Will be sure to check around those rust areas extra careful and maybe find out a bit more about what kind of driver the previous owner is.

gunhand, Dec 22, 7:51am
What model she looking at! there are some differenes feature wise between them that are worth looking at. And if poss go for 2001 on ie AU2 AU3 they sorted out some issues with the latter ones and are a better car for probably same price.

alan1111, Dec 22, 7:53am
Rust is the biggest problems under the sills under the car cant be seen from outside has to be seen under car.

bjdw, Dec 22, 7:56am
Don't know too much about it yet.Being a female all the detail she got was the year and model :-)The guy selling it is hard up for some $$$ so selling cheap.I'll have to find out more about it.

gunhand, Dec 22, 8:01am
Hmmm, shouldnt judge but unless this chap has had somebad luck of late I would be weary of it. People flicking things for cash because there hard up suggest it may have had a hard life but could be a genuine reason. But if the car presents well and drives well it may be a good one.

franc123, Dec 22, 8:05am
Thats where you need to be more careful, get it checked right through and if it looks like bugger all maintenance has been done, move on.They're pretty tough mechanically but you need to be sure of what you are buying.

jason18, Dec 22, 6:47pm
I have a 99 AU falcon wagon. Has rust in its boot by its gas struts. Leaks somewhere and it runs in the drivers foot well. Heater pipe split on me due to age. Diff knocks a tiny bit. Been told its a cheap fix. Previous owner put extractors on it sounds good and goes well. Tows everything! Been stoked really. 4k was alot of car and was able to sell our ute so this could tow the cherrypicker.

jason18, Dec 22, 6:48pm
Heater screen sometimes disappears