Best cheap reliable runner

jcs4, Feb 13, 8:29am
for under $1500.

must be 2litre or less, prefer manual over auto, but either will do
want something that looks ok (im a young male so yea)
2 or 4 door is fine, and I don't want a suburu. (blerk)
needs to have a little bit of go when you want it, but doesn't have to be a racecar or anything

msigg, Feb 13, 8:37am
Primera

moosie_21, Feb 13, 8:41am
Celica

taipan4, Feb 13, 8:43am
2 litre Toyota Corona sold one over ayearago now got 290 000 klicks on it still going strong

wrong2, Feb 13, 8:49am
older cars reliability is condition dependant

usually , dirt cheap doesnt buy good condition , but theres always scores that come along

U13 nissan Bluebirds are fairly cheap. the 1.8L run a Kilometer per Liter cheaper than the 2.0L

jcs4, Feb 13, 8:53am
you can manually select gears in an auto!

ema1, Feb 13, 9:03am
I sold a 1991 2 litre Corona about 2 years ago as well with 320,000plus km on it, it's still going strong too.
Never used oil between changes when I had it. Did a clutch job on it was all I did apart from some body dents & scrapes.

tim8069, Feb 13, 9:48am
Coronas definately take a thrashing, I too had one up til 320,000km, previously owned by a young farmer who gave it death, I sold it for a grand a while back, it's still going strong, doing 180km per day to from Waikaremoana to Wairoa and back on the world's worst road. No probs as of yet.

phillip.weston, Feb 13, 9:51am
A friend has a 333,000kms '93 Corona, and has a severly leaking engine, leaking power steering system, leaking rear shocks, noisey gearbox bearings - I suppose it is probably the exception to the rule. Mind you, it has been quite easy and cheap to fix up its problems. Perhaps look at Carina ED's, they are on the same platform as the Corona but take styling cues and interior fitment from the Celica and Curren coupes. Someone on here in the Waikato is selling one, I just can't remember who exactly it is - perhaps search for it! :P

musikcrazee, Feb 13, 7:37pm
id say the corona too (st191 shape). We have had one for 85k and only just in the last week had to change the left front hub flange. Other than that, cheap reliable motoring

kcf, Feb 13, 7:41pm
Corolla, Corona, Starlet, Pulsar, Sentra, Laser, 323.

Preferably manual, and one that drives nicely without rattles and general "going to die noises".Hopefully that will give you some indication of how it has been driven and treated in the past.

Any of the above should be fairly low key for the purposes of the car not being nicked, or pulled over daily.Also, most of them can be found in large numbers at Pick a Part, so hopefully you can get spare parts for chump change.

With a $1500 car, it will always be a lottery if you get a good reliable runner, or just a lemon somebody else gave up on.But, hey, at least you've only lost $1500 if it turns to custard.

1fordluva, Feb 13, 8:25pm
p10 2.0l primera here 300+km's manual and doing it easy,cheap as chips to run around in.
Doesnt make gun loads of power but has enough power for most situations.

ginga4lyfe, Apr 15, 7:43am
if you can find a good DA1 Integra with the blacktop engine ( ZC engine) then get that, its indestructible ( so long as the cambelt holds up ) and revs to infinity and has quite alot of "GO" for only 140hp, its lots of fun, I just wish that i never got rid of mine