What's the most unreliable car of 80's/90's/00'-s!

Page 4 / 4
phillip.weston, Jan 6, 8:01am
The 5th gen Galant was introduced in 1983 in both Japan and NZ. It was Mitsubishi's largest FWD car at the time (was only preceeded by the Mirage and Cordia/Tredia). The FWD Sigma ended late 87 with left overs being sold in 88. The NZ-new models tend to be watered down, ie the Jap import version had the option to be fuel injected. The GSR and GSR-X models certainly weren't slow.

Again, how does a model from the 80s reflect on the whole range from the 90s! Half of the 90s models didn't even have the same family of engines (ie smokey) available in the 80s.

phillip.weston, Jan 6, 8:02am
Silent shaft was adapted in the mid 70s on the Astron and Saturn series engines, then the Sirius engine in 1980. That whine comes from the oil pump having straight cut gears - from approx 1992 onwards they moved to helical cut gears and that familiar 'whine' disappeared.

extrayda, Jan 6, 8:28am
My main comment was that the sigma was the most unreliable car I had ever owned. I have had a better run out of toyotas and my cefiro than anything else. On second thoughts the new daewoo lacetti I had as a work car was worse than the sigma.

fatman08, Jan 6, 9:22am
Is that a '05 model TW ES series2 model!
The reason I ask is just traded one.
Purchased new travelled 80000k, the only thing wedid apart from regular servicing was a new battery and front pads. Pity they ceased producing Diamante wagons would have purchased one if they were still manufactured.

tuttyclan, Jan 6, 9:46am
It all comes down to servicing.In the early '90s my Dad bought a '84 Sigma front drive at 118000 km.After one month at around 120,000 the engine blew up followed by the auto trans.It was found that the car had been badly maintained by the previous owner.Dad only bought this Mitsi based on the reliabilty of my Sigma RWD that I still have today with its original motor etc and now has 300,650km.

elect70, Jan 6, 9:38pm
Vl commiebought newalways maintained ,at 60k first cam sensor500 k from home ,3more,cracked oil l/water gallery - new headthenbottom end went-newrod endsthen 6 months laterreplace short blockthen the transneedwork . Even my minis whenanapprentice were more reliable .