What's the most unreliable car of 80's/90's/00'-s!

Page 1 / 4
elect70, Jan 1, 12:58am
VL commiemurphys law to the letterfuel pumpscam angle sensorsX4crack headsaround oil gallery /water jacket , only second new caralmost as bad as the first,82 bluebird

rellerion, Jan 1, 1:01am
How can anyone have not listed -----BMW------
or -----ALPHA ROMEO------
or ------MERCEDES BENZ--------
or any other euro.

My 03 Mitsi is mint! still going strong. maybe others shouldve serviced theirs.

aj254, Jan 1, 1:23am
and is diesel.
Early 90's Toyota V6's.

trogedon, Jan 1, 1:35am
The one we have and the others I've had have been excellent but that's only from longterm ownership / working on them perspective.

mrfxit, Jan 1, 1:46am
Had several different model Mitsi's over the years & many friends & other relatives as well.
The only problems was with the 1800/ 2400 GDI models (well documented) & auto gearbox's on the early 90's jap import models, (also well documented)
No probs otherwise.
Economical/ reliable/ power to weight ratio good
Smooth ride & smooth engines.

(Some brought from dealers/ some from auctions/ some from mates)

tgray, Jan 1, 1:48am
Jaguar XJS. Had a 1980 V12. What a piece of crap.

tgray, Jan 1, 1:52am
96 Cavalier with quarter of a million K's and a perfect pre purchase mechanical inspection!
434127430 (check link for report).
Surely this can't be!

mrfxit, Jan 1, 1:56am
Pre 2000 models mostly .
Early van diesels mostly were modded petrol engines
Mitsi's had always had a problem with valve stem seals at around 240,000kms
Ford electrics had always been weak
Holden engines thirsty
Almost anything pre 90's rotted bodys
Euro's . well yea, Less chance of a tree falling over/dieing/ bits falling off when attacked with a chainsaw
Volkswagons DID fall over.

BUT yea, a lot comes down to how you treat it.

mrfxit, Jan 1, 1:59am
Jags were very reliable but very thirsty until they got brought out by British Leyland & THEY built the V12 & 4.2 .>>>> all down hill after then till very recently.
BL has a LOT to answer for.

booksurfer1, Jan 1, 2:04am
Austin Princess was supposed to bad. Anyone had one!. I actually liked the shape but scared off buying one with so many bad stories!.

mrfxit, Jan 1, 2:24am
^^ British Leyland ^^
British vehicles generally dripped oil everywhere but were easy to fix & even then often was only minor-ish things like a valve grind or rings slapped in & away you go again.
When BL took over, THATS when vehicles started breaking properly.
In fact, it's well documented that the BL workers started sabotaging their own workmanship for many different reasons.

wheeler1, Jan 1, 5:25am
you can get any car to get to a million kms migh cost half a million in repairs to get it there but it can be done even on a cavilier

gunhand, Jan 1, 5:40am
Know many people with Mitsi's and no more issues than any other popular car on the road in fact maybe less.
Sisters Cavilier (must be 6 months now) still not a single issue, but Im really waiting to see just what will happen to it since there soooooo unreliable.
In fact on here you hear of more issues with late model stuff,alot!
And if there were no unreliable cars or neglectfull owners there would a lot of mechanics looking for jobs a.

candii06, Dec 30, 9:35am
From previous and current experiences i've had with my own/friends & family cars + all the hearsay these are at the top of my list from over the years.

Chrysler PT Cruiser
mid 90's mitsubishi diamante
Toyota cavalier
2.5L subaru legacy grandwagon
early mazda v6's like the ms-8 efini
those headgasket blowing mid 90's rover hatchbacks (model name has escaped me)
ford fairmont ghia EA (eeek)

what other models should be on the list! :)

panicky, Dec 30, 9:36am
The Rover Tomcat or 220!

popped_out, Dec 30, 9:37am
mitsubishi anything.

master-trader, Dec 30, 9:44am
second that. I outright claim I'll never touch anything Mitsi again, heat pumps included

sas777, Dec 30, 10:07am
just about anything with a Rover badge.
if they weren't breaking down every few days the build quality was simply appalling

candii06, Dec 30, 10:14am
hmmm. seems like rover is taking the cup for this. i know the 1 i had a few years back was shocking. head gasket blew TWICE! electric window problems. aircon issues, the thing just fell apart. only had around 80,000kms on it. a cavalier probably would have lasted longer :P

male_timaru, Dec 30, 10:14am
Funny you should say that because they invested in Honda engines and they STILL crapped out - funny old thing that eh ! lol

male_timaru, Dec 30, 10:16am
Awesome car in its day and still a great car if you just replace the head gasket with a copper one then it doesn't blow them any more - it only got its bad name really for head gaskets blowing when boy racers decided that boost should be wound up to all hell!

horsepower7, Dec 30, 10:20am
auto peugeots lol most need a rebuild coz their so crap.jeep cherokees. so expensive!

blueaeroplane, Dec 30, 11:21am
The Citroen XM. But it looked so very cool.

Edited coz I could.

rover79, Dec 30, 11:58am
That would be the Rover 216 sli
Bought one of them a few years agofor a run around, great little cars and can get up and go. Got told that If it hasn't already blown the gasket it will do it before 100k. Had a look on here over a period of time and there was always one on here for sale with a blown head gasket.

twink19, Dec 30, 12:06pm
Ford Exploders