4G93T fuel issue

miss-shortae, Dec 31, 10:36pm
hi, i have a 96 mitsubishi gsr (4G93T) and its having some fuel issues. basicly what is happening is on monday, went from te awamutu to auckland airport, it used 3/4 tank getting up there, fueled up at the airport, came back to te awamutu via the same route, but this time only used 1/4 of a tank. also on thursday i filled it up and now everytime its parked up, you can smell petorl. any ideas of what could be causing all of this. thanks

mugenb20b, Dec 31, 10:40pm
Have you filled the tank up when you returned!

miss-shortae, Dec 31, 10:44pm
yes, filled up on thursday afternoon

mugenb20b, Dec 31, 10:46pm
Awesome. Has the car consumed the same amount of fuel, going there and back! For example, 30 litres each way.

miss-shortae, Dec 31, 10:58pm
what do you mean!

heres some examples of usage, te awamutu to tokoroa, used 3/4 tank, tokoroa to te awamutu via same route, used 1/4 tank.

te awamutu to auckland airport, used 3/4 tank, auckland airport to te awamutu via same route, used 1/4

edangus, Dec 31, 11:04pm
Fuel guage is pissed.

That or you drive like an animal there and like a nana back.

Bit like this - my wife could get 450 - 500km out of a tank - me oh about 350km on a good drive.

mugenb20b, Dec 31, 11:07pm
Don't worry about what the gauge says at this point in time.

1. How much fuel has the car used (in litres) in one direction! You will know this by looking at the receipt when you filled up.
2. How much fuel have you put in when you returned (in litres)!

miss-shortae, Dec 31, 11:10pm
im a truck driver, used to sitting at 90km/h so thats the speed i go in the car, just used to sitting at that speed

miss-shortae, Dec 31, 11:13pm
wouldnt be able to give you a figure on litres just yet, but will do that tomorrow when i go back up

edangus, Dec 31, 11:16pm
Cool, Look I used to have one of these puppies (for freaking years - my son now has it) the guage would not read correctly due to a dent in the fuel tank.
The top half of the fuel guage would dissappear in no time at all, The bottom 1/4 seemed to last forever.

Only ever went off the kms and/or the fuel light.