89 toyota corona manual, or

jcs4, Feb 18, 7:25am
92 nissan primera auto, primera has done 270,000 kms and the corona has done 230,000

primera looks tidier

they are both 2l, where owned by older people and not thrashed.

which one would you go for.oh and the corona they don't know when the cambelt was last done. how much does a new cambelt cost!

intrade, Feb 18, 7:46am
4 cilinder toyota with propper coolant and serviced. toyota
Nissan have bad auto transmissions .supose both are auto!

intrade, Feb 18, 7:47am
toyota if not cam belt driven waterpump be 240$ for belt tensioner and work. provided pars have not gone up by mutch since gst increase.

kazbanz, Feb 18, 7:50am
Dang--I guess then BOTH of the Nissans I have here -180 and 240k respectively are freaks of nature. The tranz in both are working just fine

jcs4, Feb 18, 7:51am
the nissan is an auto, the corona is a manual

corona is belt driven and has a carby, the nissan is chain driven and has fuel injection

intrade, Feb 18, 7:52am
toyota will do up to 400,000km with 0 fluid change do this to the nissan and it will be a goner at 250,000+

intrade, Feb 18, 7:53am
corona and get some mechanical knolage so you can do easy maintainace like carb cleaning.

intrade, Feb 18, 7:54am
nissans chain drive is only good if oil and filter waschanged all the time. this does not change the fact that nissans automatic transmission are not as good as toyota

jcs4, Feb 18, 7:55am
I already have enough mechanical knowledge to do that sort of thing.

anyone know what a 2litre corona is like on fuel!

tuttyclan, Feb 18, 8:26am
I am pretty sure the 1989 corona had Fuel Injection.
I used to own a 1989 Corona Liftback with Fuel Injection and I would regulary get 700 km out of a tank of petrol.

jasongroves, Feb 18, 8:35am
I've got a carby 3S 1990 Corona liftback sitting in my drive.
I reckon its shocking on fuel compared to the EFI models of similar vintage.
Runs very well and doesn't skip a beat though.

jcs4, Feb 18, 8:40am
just called, the guy reckoned it was a carb on the phone, he reckoned it costs about $40-50 auckland to tga and back (which is 400km) so giving it a bit of extra I can assume around 6l per 100km

therefore your corona took about $80 worth of petrol in todays prices to fill the tank does that sound about right!

franc123, Feb 18, 8:40am
Not all of the ST171 series were injected, most of the base model NZ new ones were not.On balance I would still go Corona, the main reason being that if either of those cars have not received the care they should have the consequences are a lot cheaper.I would have to agree with intrade on this one.Another general cautionary note, cars owned by "older people" don't necessarily make good buys, especially if they have done a lot of cold running and not been serviced in an appropriate manner, this is especially the case with NIssan SR motors, the reasons why are well known.

jcs4, Feb 18, 8:43am
the nissan has (supposedly) had a full oil and transmission fluid change 1000km ago, which sounds good

jasongroves, Feb 18, 8:44am
60L tank in the Corona I think.

jcs4, Feb 18, 8:46am
ok so thats more like 8.5l per 100km and thats the efi model as well.

maybe this guy is stretching the truth about the economy, or maybe he hasn't driven it for years and petrol costs that much more.

franc123, Feb 18, 8:46am
Thats well and good, but what has been happening previously!Its always wise to at least get the oil filler cap off and have a good look in there with a torch for any evidence of burnt oil and sludge.

jasongroves, Feb 18, 8:47am
As Franc hinted at. The SR Nissan motors are great, but suffer severely if not maintained (oil changes) religiously. The oil squirters are tiny and block up very easily.and can quickly lead to engine failure. (Black death).

jasongroves, Feb 18, 8:54am
I've owned both cars, and would pick the Corona personally.
The Primera is a good car, fair bit more power than the Corona and I find the autos to be very good.
Cambelt is pretty cheap to do on the Corona, parts are readily available for both cars.but as above, the Corona is a bit more maintenance friendly.
Plus, the Toyota badge ensures a premium when you come to sell later.

tuttyclan, Feb 18, 8:55am
This was back in 1997-98 to fill up it was about $60 to fill (total tank size is 60 litres so roughly 50 plus litres to refill.
We used to drive it daily from Manurewa to Orewa which is about 120km a day x 5 plus some running around in between we would top it up when it was on about 700 km on the trip meter then reset it again after filling it up.
This one was a Japanese Import with a five speed manual and all the goodies like sunroof,air con and a extra long lip on the rear spoiler.
Pretty sure the model was a SF and was badged a 1.8 litre but our mechanic told us soon after buying it that it had a 2.0 litre as we purchased some parts for a service as we thought it was a 1.8 we got parts for a 1.8 litre engine.We had to exchange the parts for 2.0 litre engine.

jcs4, Feb 18, 9:43am
the one im looking at is an XL model *edit to say it looks a wee bit more scruffy than the primera, but is a manual which I prefer. also it looks like its been garaged most of its life

franc123, Feb 18, 10:18am
If you want a good basic car thats going to keep going for the next few years with minimal expenditure,the Corona is the one to get, secure it before someone else does! Forgot to mention earlier but the other thing that gets grumpy on highish km P10 Primeras is the engine and body electrics, they chew starter motors,alternators and electric windows/door lock parts etc, which gets frustrating.Fuel pumps also don't live a long life either, shame as for the most part those cars are good at what they do, but of course are getting old now.

vtec101, Feb 18, 1:33pm
Go the corona those those toyota corona st171s are legendary cars the nz new models my grandad had a 1990 gl corona carby was bullet proof great old car and mate has the glxi 1989 model injected 3s-fe done 300 kms runs like a clock those 3s motors are indestructible one of the best motors toyota have made i reckon

jcs4, May 2, 8:09pm
im viewing the corona in about 45 minutes, I have the cash and am going to make him an offer if its all good