2003 caldina zt awd vs 2003-04 Atenza 23s awd

vtecintegra, Jan 1, 3:12am
The Toyota is tiny in the back, really more of a hatchback - make sure you go and have a look at one and see if it'll suit what you want to carry.

richard198, Jan 1, 3:17am
The Caldina you've linked to isn't AWD. As such it would be a lot easier on the petrol. (I have an earlier model 4wd Caldina (auto) and it's very thirsty!

kramsnave, Jan 1, 3:28am
Cheers Richard, I would be looking at an awd one, I had the previous caldina gt with the beams motor and didn't find it to bad on gas,boot size may be an issue carting prams and dog around but if need be I've got the pathfinder

_peas, Jan 1, 8:05am
The ZT Caldina has a direct injection fuel system that can give you some costly issues.Its similar to Mitsi's GDI.I currently drive a GT Caldina (1997) the same as your old one and found ti pretty good on gas too.Got the high end power when you need it too.

Personally I would get a 2WD Atenza wagon.The autos are sluggish compared to the manuals and the 4WDs are worse again.I guess it depends what you want but definitely drive the 2WD Mazda before getting a 4WD just to satisfy yourself that its worth the extra running costs and I guess if you are planning on trips to the snow or something.

ryanm2, Jan 1, 6:19pm
why are you not willing to go down the Audi/VW path! Ive owned over the last 5/6 years legacy's, caldina's and primera wagons. Now have a VW Passat -
the 1.8T passat just handled the trip from chch - west coast easy with 2 adults and 2 children with ease, that incuded the Otira Gorge and Porters climbs which are car killers. Excellent on gas too.

shelleigh, Jan 1, 8:46pm
I'm looking at replacing my '96 Corolla wagon with a Mk 5 Golf wagon hopefully next month :)
So many people say not to touch Euros because they are expensive but I wonder how many Euros that need repairing haven't been serviced regularly and with the right oil, etc.
They can't be that bad otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them in Europe :)
I am amazed how many Golf hatches I've seen in the past 6 months yet a year ago, I wouldn't have known what one looked like.
OP do you need 4WD/AWD! I'll be going skiing more often but decided against getting a 4WD as most of my driving is on tarseal.

richard198, Jan 1, 11:20pm
You're right about correct servicing etc. but as far as European owners, this is what German drivers think as far as overall satisfaction and reliability:-
1. Toyota
2. Subaru
3. Honda
4. Mazda
5. Nissan
6. Mitsubishi
7. Suzuki
8. Porsche
9. Saab
10. Hyundai
Not a VW in sight! In fact VW came 31!
So they buy them but not happy with them.

ryanm2, Jan 2, 12:33am
Everyone on here seems to hate Suabru's and Mitsi's though, and Toyota's are expensive compared to with other cars or similar spec and year.

scotty20001, Jan 2, 12:42am
everyone on here hates everything (but most of them like crv-s so they cant comment) if you want to drive Euro go ahead as lifes too short to drive shit.

richard198, Jan 2, 4:05am
I haven't seen any posts in favour of Honda's Comfortable Recreational Vehicle!