BMW going front wheel drive

Page 1 / 2
zak1998, Feb 19, 5:48pm
Just read the next lot of new BMWs will have front wheel drive on offer. What are your views

v8_mopar, Feb 19, 6:09pm
Backwards Motor & Wheels

Its cheaper so its bound to happen! I wouldn't have one but in saying that I probably would not have any BMW

carkitter, Feb 19, 6:49pm
It's ineveitable because FWD is a far more efficient packaging design and manufacturers are under pressure to make cars as light and fuel efficient as possible. If this is true then is the German horsepower race over!

mopeds, Feb 19, 6:53pm
Unfortunately they'll lose some loyalty from traditionalists who prefer rear wheel drive because it's safer and more predictable in the wet or snow and ice, on the other hand they might pick up a few buyers who will now be able to afford a beemer because they'll be cheaper with fwd.

clark20, Feb 19, 7:57pm
Nah, they will go FWD but performance ones will be 4WD, like the Audis

johnf_456, Feb 19, 8:00pm
Old new this months ago

sr2, Feb 19, 9:13pm
RWD safer & predictable in the wet!

rob_man, Feb 19, 9:38pm
I always found it to be true.
Isn't the BMW Mini already FWD! I know it's not badged as a BMW but I thought it was their car.

zak1998, Feb 19, 11:42pm
One model spoken about that will have a FWD set up is the Z4. A RWD model will be there as well in the line up

carkitter, Feb 20, 12:31am
It will be interesting to see how BMW maintain their traditional 50/50 weight distribution with a FWD car. I can understand making the 1-series and 3 -eries FWD along with the X-series SUV's but I would think making the Z4 FWD would be a mistake.

serf407, Feb 20, 12:36am
If BMW develop their own version of the 'revo-knuckle' front suspension and a fancy front diff, then BMW front drivers should be okay.
x-series guess a rav-4 typeset up of part time rear drive would be possible.

rob_man, Feb 20, 1:00am
AWD would be the obvious alternative to RWD, as long as they didn't end up with the motor forward of the front wheels like Audi did. What a no brainer that is.

peacebird15, Feb 20, 1:53am
Front wheel drive is pretty much manditory when supplying the US market due to snow being such a big factor is most of its states, they even put the big V8's into caddys and the like east west to make them more usable in icy and wet conditions. RWD is hopeless in snow

carkitter, Feb 20, 2:04am
Two words - traction control.

bill-robinson, Feb 20, 3:06am
rob_man wrote:

AWD would be the obvious alternative to RWD, as long as they didn't end up with the motor forward of the front wheels like Audi did. What a no brainer that is.

I don't know, seems to work okay on Subaru cars

clark20, Feb 20, 3:12am
Don't know about that, I used to kill some RWD racecars in the rain with my FWD, like go around the outside of them in the corner. And I came 6th in the national production cars at Manfield because it rained, normally was 12th. I also came 2nd in the national hill climb championship on dirt in a FWD.

mopeds, Feb 20, 3:14am
RWD cars are better in most conditions, the only reason for FWD is cost and maximizing interior space, from a purely driving POV RWD beats FWD hands down, look at any serious drivers car and it will be RWD or AWD

morrisman1, Feb 20, 3:19am
I think its a good idea, more efficient and for the majority there are no benefits of RWD. I hope they leave the 5 series and 7 series as RWD still but if the smaller cars (1 & 3 series) go FWD/AWD I couldnt care less

johnf_456, Feb 20, 4:57am
If they give people choice its not so bad, but really if you don't like its pretty simple to just not buy it.

shane.64, Feb 20, 5:19am
Maybe as they are made in china now ! and can give big discouts on trade ins on ones made in germany!

rob_man, Feb 20, 5:25am
I admit that for most people it won't really be noticable, the modern FWD cars have most of the bad characteristics tuned out and compensated for under normal driving conditions.
I guess we learned different tactics for wet roads, there's always a tendency to find the point where traction's starting to go away so there aren't any surprises and you're already twitching the opposite lock a bit if something does happen. Funny how that stays with you.
Drivers nowadays just seem to steer the car like it's an appliance.

utwo, Feb 20, 5:33am
Your average punter who buys a BMW 1 series hatchback wouldn't even know whether it's front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. In fact, this was revealed in an informal survey (can't remember where I read this - might have been one of the UK motoring mags). People just assumed that because most cars in this class are front wheel drive that the 1 series was as well. Front wheel drive provides much better traction than RWD in snow due to most of the weight being over the front wheels. Saab used to emphasise this in their marketing materials.

woody1946, Feb 20, 5:36am
Nothing looks more manly than smoke billowing under REAR mudguards

rob_man, Feb 20, 5:55am
I don't know about traction in FWD, a defining moment for me was watching a Telstar trying to get up Takapuna boat ramp with a fairly small boat on the back. The driver had all of his mates on the front bumper and bonnet and it was still struggling to make headway.

richardmayes, Feb 20, 6:10am
You can't beat a small FWD car with a rev-happy little engine for keeping your speed up through the corners on a twisty road, especially one you don't know very well. So I can definitely imagine a BMW sporty hatch, something like a Type R Civic or a Cooper S.

If you've got a bigger car or a car with a lot of power, you really need it to be going to the back wheels if you want to drive enthusiastically, as there's only so much your front tyres can do when you need them to deliver the power and provide the steering forces as well.
(The most powerful FWD I've driven is an Aurion with 200kW, and you definitely need to get it pointed straight before you nail the throttle, though I imagine it might start to become a bit chuckable if you put say 345s on the front. )

SO I don't think a FWD 5-series would be very happy, except maybe for people who aren't really very interested in driving.