Socket sets and drive size.

Page 1 / 2
hoarder85, Dec 14, 2:56am
looking at getting my brother a socket set for xmas. I understand that 1/4 and 3/8 are the smaller sizes, and 1/2 are larger. Would you suggest getting a set that has all 3 sizes! or would 1/4 and 3/8 be ok!

He would use it for vehicle repairs - probably more complex repairs than your average diyer.

tmenz, Dec 14, 3:08am
I have all 3 sizes. They each have their applications. For general vehicle work 1/2" drive covers most things, 3/8" drive is useful for getting into some places where 1/2" fittings are too big, 1/4" drive is great for the smaller stuff such as working on distributors, pumps, alternators etc.
Make sure you get reasonable quality - cheap and nasty just doesn't cut it when it comes to such tools.

(Then there's 3/4" drive if you're really serious and have a large bank balance - only necessary if you're into kick-starting bulldozers for a hobby.)

kazbanz, Dec 14, 3:09am
Hoarder -In my opinion you are better off getting a QUALITYset thatis one of the three sizes.The cheap multy size sets in warehouse etc are just that --cheap.
Now I agree 100% with the poster abovebut what SORTof mechanical work does this person do!
This sounds silly but if he mostly works on Motorbikes then unquestionable I'd say the 1/4 drive option.
If on bigV8 stuff then the 1/2 inch.
Argueable the "safe" bet is 3/8 but theres lots of other options I can suggest to you

jsbike, Dec 14, 3:16am
bahco do a big set with 1/4" and 1/2" in it, I got this then bought a smaller bahco set with a 3/8". its good to have a range of sizes

pup2, Dec 14, 3:17am
Stanley, fuller or something similar. Ideally when on special. Stay away from the likes of repco's mechpro IMO. Boss got a 1/4" mechpro for small bench jobs. Killed it pretty quick

hoarder85, Dec 14, 3:31am
Thanks guys. I'm looking at a Stanley set at Supercheap.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/catalogue.aspx

The set is on page 2-3 and is the $209 set. Has all three sizes plus some spanners by the looks of it. Would this be ok!

alan1111, Dec 14, 5:44am
I am a mechanic and have 1/4 , 3/8 , 1/2 , and 3/4 inch drive and the most i use is the 3/8 followed by 1/4 drive. If you want my opinion just buy the 2 smaller sets and spend a little extra on quality he will love you for them.

kazbanz, Dec 14, 5:59am
Hi Hoarder--basicly that looks to be pretty good quality --from memory stanley/sidchrome are the same company.
You just found number 1 sons christmass prezzy thank you

44.magnum, Dec 14, 6:15am
i agree here life time warranty stuff i have the full kingtony range and find it very strong. what ever you chose check to see they meet thegerman DIN standard

bitsy_boffin, Dec 14, 6:46am
Will you please be my brother/sister :)

m16d, Dec 14, 7:12am
Just get him a set of Stahlwille. Your brother will love you forever.

http://www.whiteint.co.nz/HandTools_MetalMarking.html!gclid=CMKpj_aAga0CFQ2DpAodGRspRw

pup2, Dec 14, 7:53am
Only have a couple of stahlwille tools. Real nice and so is the price

richardmayes, Dec 14, 8:10am
I wouldn't bother with 3/8". They are very overrated IMHO, you see neat little sets of them everywhere but they are just not quite big enough or strong enough for a lot of automotive jobs.

I would get a good quality 1/2" driver and socket set. That way his main set is strong enough for working on the bigger stuff like engines and suspension joints.

A little 1/4" drive set is a nice accessory to go with a 3/8" set,that means he has a little lightweight one for whizzing the really small nuts & bolts in and out.

mrcat1, Dec 14, 8:57am
Ooohhh I must be special, i have 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, 1" sets in Koken. And in all honesty i find i use all 5 sets from time to time. They are very good quality if you want a good but not over the top priced socket sets.

fish4funnz, Dec 14, 9:03am
I have al 4 sizes and all powerbuilt brand. Ive had them for over 10 years with no problems at all and they have had some abuse.

fatman08, Dec 14, 9:05am
Purchased a Koken 3/8" combination set [ SAE, Whit, Metric] in '86, the only piece I ve replaced is the ratchet, due to the fact my son lent the set to 1 of his mates and was returned minus the said ratchet.

evotime, Dec 14, 9:17am
get him a decent 3/8 set, Ive been a mechanic for 18 years, and the 3/8 set my mates bought me when I started my apprenticeship is still the set I use most often,

unbeatabull, Dec 14, 9:22am
I can't say I really use my 3/8 set at all. I usually use 1/2" or 1/4".

In saying that though, get him a good ratchet spanner set - won't pick up a normal spanner again

hoarder85, Dec 14, 9:52am
Thanks for the all the replies :) very helpful.

The Stanley products do come with a lifetime warranty and they do seem to be reasonably priced. Perhaps the different brands have a different meaning of 'lifetime warranty'!

tmenz, Dec 14, 7:05pm
Cripes, what do you use your 1" set on - dump trucks, jumbo jets, army tanks.!

tmenz, Dec 14, 7:18pm
Go for it - looks like a good versatile kit covering a wide range - seems good value for money.
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online-store/products/Stanley-Tool-Kit-132-Piece-BMC.aspx!pid=222143#Description

fryan1962, Dec 14, 7:25pm
Stahlwilleare expensive

That set you are choosing is fine your brother will be very happy

hatchback, Dec 14, 7:31pm
I might buy one of them myself and I already have 3/8" and 1/2" sets. I have a 1/4" set and never used it.

kazbanz, Dec 14, 7:51pm
If nothing else this shows the wide range of opinions.
When I started out I had a grrumpy old foreman who insisted that you use the SMALLEST tool that will comfortably do the job.
It might be because he was used to ham fisted aprentices but that has always stuck with me

mm12345, Dec 14, 8:47pm
I'm still using (almost daily) a Koken 3/8" drive set that I bought in 1978, ratchet still fine, sockets still good - despite abuse by me from time to time.