Ford Focus, pros and cons please!

leeleene, Feb 17, 9:13am
Hi there, I am looking at buying a Ford Focus, what do I need to know! Is it a timing chain or a cambelt! Any pros and cons please.

jasongroves, Feb 17, 9:44am
Which specific year/model/engine/trans!

leeleene, Feb 19, 9:15am
Looking at a getting a 2001 hatchback, 1.6 or 1.5, either manual or auto, haven't found the exact car yet, just like them.

3tomany, Feb 19, 8:32pm
if its any help we had a 2004 1.6 focus for three years and had no problems with it at all everyone in the family loved it but it was new so cant comment on how well they have aged. we now have a new fiesta and that car is o for awsome we bought it for economy but bacause everyone loves driving it so much it never sits still so thats not really working lol

leeleene, Feb 21, 7:10am
Thanks for that :-)

zetec, Feb 21, 9:15am
Very roomy and comfortable riding , with independant rear suspension. The 1.6 is very economical to run.A 2001 model will be a used import and I would guess an auto. I would go for an NZ new 1.6 manual if you can, it won't be as higher spec inside, but better suspension setup and the manual will be a better drive and more economical on fuel. NZ new are from 2003 onward. Try to get one fitted with ABS, as it was an option in 2003 and part of 2004.

zetec, Feb 21, 9:28am
A couple of other things, the 1.6 is a cambelt engine, change interval is 150,000km or 10 years. The Mk1 Focus was facelifted in 2002, the facelifted ones have the front indicator in the headlight rather than in the bumper.

fiatracer, Feb 21, 8:09pm
interested in this thread, as am shopping for a focus zetec 2.0 auto [NZ new c. '06]. believe this is a camchain engine - any known issues with this model!

zetec, May 15, 3:53pm
Yes the Mk2 2.0 is camchain. I have not owned one but have not heard of major issues. All Euro cars wear their brake rotors out quickly, around 60 to 70,000 kms. If it is lower k's and they have not been replaced budget for that, replace with Bendix or similar rotors and no more problems.