Ford Courier 99-06 shape

jasoo, Jan 6, 2:35am
Looking at one of these, an 02 Model, anything to look out for in paticular! Are the engines as reliable as Ive heard! Cheers

ezekiel67, Jan 6, 3:28am
I've heard that they blow head gaskets easily but I'm sure someone will correct me or chime in with more information.

poppajn, Jan 6, 3:45am
weak gearbox, if you,re looking at towing.

andy61, Jan 6, 4:07am
Prone to cracking heads.

dunar, Jan 6, 4:10am
Like to crack heads. Gearbox and rear diff weak. They what we have as work utes so they do get abused by lots of drivers.

kazbanz, Jan 6, 4:44am
Jasoo--My father owns an 03 Courier diesel manual single cab and has travelled only 88000km in it. The story about them blowing head gaskets and destroying heads is 100% true.
BUT the cause isn't a weakness in the head. Its the desighn of the radiator.
What happens is the radiator has very narrow tubes and they clog up fairly easilly. --Its a slow process but coolant slowly gets to the stage it isn't circulating.
The repair is to get the radiator cleaned and make sure they use distilled water with the correct glycol/antifreeze.
If the head Pops then you fit an aftermarket mazda head from brazil (I think) and a new aftermarket radiator.-the aftermarket stuff is better quality and the rad has bigger cooling fins.
-This is based on personal experience and info passed to me by the agents selling a LOT of heads

mugenb20b, Jan 6, 6:49am
^^^^^^^ What he said. Turbo diesels go bloody fantastic, and will do high mileages provided they aren't cooked. Seems to be more common on 4WD models. Front diffs can leak oil from the driver's side axle seal (4WD model), due to a worn carrier. All in all, good utes, and I'd definitely buy a Courier / Bounty over any other ute. Oh, and don't buy the 2.6 petrol model, they are crap, have no power, no torque, nothing.

jasoo, Jan 7, 2:32am
Thanks for the advice guys, will def be checking out the cooling system closely on anything I end up getting