Rustproofing paint

wcg30, Mar 1, 9:14pm
I heard a conversation ages ago between 2 guys talking about a rustproofing paint that one guy was applying to his quad bike & i think it was called 'Bartons' or some name like that does anyone know of such a product.
They were saying that it was good stuff etc etc
Been to Repco but they hadn't heard of anything .
My quad bike has got any rust as yet but the paints wearing a bit underneath & i want to be proactive.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

johnf_456, Mar 1, 9:16pm
por15 google it and search it here, people here swear by it.

wcg30, Mar 1, 9:29pm
thanks for that. I googled rust proofing paint but there was such a wide range of products that i didn't know where to start.
The guys that were talking about applying this stuff to there quad bike were digger contractors & they were saying how such & such stuff was no good rah, rah, rah & how this stuff was the best available.

Next time i eavesdrop on interesting conversations i'll take notes lol.
Thanks

thejazzpianoma, Mar 2, 12:58am
POR15 is ideal for what you are doing as it not only offers about the best rust protection you can get it also dries to a rock hard ceramic like finish. If you paint the head of a sledge hammer with it you can use the hammer a hang of a lot before you wear through it.

A word of note though, preparation is EVERYTHING with POR15. If you apply it over another paint most of the rust protection will be lost. Likewise if you put it straight on over shiny metal as it wont stick and will peel off like selotape.

If you get some follow the instructions to the letter and read some por-15 threads on here to get some more clues. like putting a layer of plastic bag under the lid when you seal it.

www.por15.co.nz

wcg30, Mar 2, 4:09am
Thanks for that.
This is the problem the bike has no rust at present but the paint on the chasis looks like it's in need of repaining a bit thin in places the quad lives in the garage & has a pretty easy life i hose it down after i come back from the beach iso i am looking for a preventive more than a rust repaireri'd say.
The guy at Repco told me to just paint it with a primer & leave it at that.
The neighbour told me to just repaint the chasis with enamel paint not water based
Everyone i have spoken too has a different opinion ranging from .leave it aloneto strip it down, water blast the chasis& repaintetc etc
so i am confused.
Can anyone reccomend a rust deterring paint !

franc123, Jun 5, 11:01pm
Never ever leave primer exposed for any longer than you have to, it will absorb moisture and keep the rust process going.POR15 is the best product I've ever used but you must follow their prep recommendations otherwise it isn't anywhere near as effective.Its designed to be used in conjunction with their marine clean and metal ready products, both of which their agents will have.