Courtesy car horror stories

Page 1 / 2
200sx, Mar 2, 5:48am
Any good yarns out there. I was kindly offered a courtesy car from what I consider to be one of Wellingtons most highly regarded panelshops this morning after dropping off one of my cars for some minor panelwork. This mid-90s Mitsi I got.faarrkkk. Virtually no brakes, abysmal wheel balancing making it almsot undriveable on the motorway, almost impossible to start and supplied with the tank on empty. It had a near new WOF too. With this particular business it won't stop me going back because their workmanship is first-class, but I will be having a yarn about this loaner! I don't intend using it tomorrow lol!

bjdw, Mar 2, 5:56am
Panelshop up here lent one of their cars to an out of towner.Cops found the car a week later, parked up in a remote spot.The guy had comited sideways by OD five or six days earlier.In a closed up car, in the middle of summer.Needless to say the upholstery was in less than pristine condition when they got the car back.

franc123, Mar 2, 5:58am
Oh yes, plenty of good stories.The worst one I can think of was an early '80's Mitsi Mirage that belonged to a neighbouring panelshop who had just started getting us to do their WOFs.Got into it for a road test and thought frig this thing steers horrible, it was way out of character being the good handling little car they are/were.The steering wheel turned about 1/8 turn before the wheels reacted.After examining the steering, found half the lower steering column universal had broken out.I hate to think what might have happened had a driver had to do a sudden turn to avoid something in front of them.How or why nobody who had been using the car (it was more or less in constant use) hadn't reported about it to the shop was anyones guess.

stevo2, Mar 2, 5:58am
My panelshop has brand new Diahatsus. Awesome.
Cheers Stevo

carstauranga001, Mar 2, 6:12am
I know them.

stevo2, Mar 2, 6:15am
Yes cars you would as they are just down the road from you.
Still waiting to hear from you about a wagon for my daughter. Budget $6k-$8k
cheers stevo

franc123, Mar 2, 6:29am
You're a charitable organisation aren't you, you don't need to make money whats the problem lol.You gotta love those types.On the subject of boundaries, we had one where a guy brings his crapheap Korean Musso thing in with a blown headgasket.No problem except for the fact that all the bolts were made of cheese and broke when removing the head and various other parts needed weren't immediately available, job took six weeks all up.Boss gives him his fairly new car to use as we were out of other loaners, has new WOF, service, tank of gas, all neat and tidy.The c*ck does 8,500km in that time, which must have consisted of several long distance trips, dumps the thing back filthy inside and out with a heap of stonechips all over it and you guessed it with the fuel light glowing a nice angry orange, and you guessed it again, disputes the bill even though he was informed all the way about the delays and costs.Some people.

ginga4lyfe, Mar 2, 6:34am
here on plunket ave in manukau I dropped off a car and was given a 199x Toyota corrola hatch back, as soon as i jumped onto it, i went to put my seat belt on, and the whole buckle came clean off the belt it was attached to, with little to no force, is was as if the belt was wet paper, and that too had a fresh WOF, I immediatly got out the car with the buckle and took it into the shop, then was supplied another car as a replacement, then to my amazement I saw that same corolla being driven around by a blonde and her kids in the back not even an hour later!, since then I havnt taken my car to that shop and will never do so again

marcos1, Mar 2, 6:57am
Stop whingeing.lucky you get anything.
The amount of dorks that come in and think it is their right to have a free loan car,because they are under some illusion that they are covered for it under their policy, is almost laughable.
I could tell you a few horror stories.
Quite a few shops are now beginning to charge for this service.

curlcrown, Mar 2, 7:02am
its a panel shop, not a car leasing firm.

franko171, Mar 2, 7:08am
put a refundable bond on the bill

carstauranga001, Mar 2, 7:11am
Havn't forgotten mate, just nothing to offer you yet.

stevo2, Mar 2, 7:13am
Sweet as. Not in any real hurry.
Cheers Stevo

thejazzpianoma, Mar 2, 7:18am
Buy a hang of a nice Punto that would.
*Runs*

dvince, Mar 2, 9:51am
Dont get in an accident in a courtesy car, their insurance excess is astronomical! So I found out the hard way :(

pauloc, Mar 2, 9:56am
Huh, my loan car is in a car park building in the Chch CBD.

steve312, Mar 2, 7:21pm
Had one customer that we gave a loan car with a full tank of gas.Finished the repairs to their car and rang to say it was ready.Was told that they had just filled the courtesy car up and wanted to use the fuel they had put into it.Funny thing is that they sounded a bit pissed off when I told them that I would use their car as a courtesy car until ours came back.Just can't please some people.

johnf_456, Mar 2, 7:34pm
^ Its not always that easy, if you used a clients car insurance probably would not cover it.

big.b-lil.c, Mar 2, 7:53pm
not exactly what you meant but lil.c had a loan of a brand new diahatsu sirion (dont know how to spell) had around 40km on the clock when she got it. long story short someone hit it when parked in miter 10's carpark in henderson, hit and run! lucky someone got the number plate and even a photo turned out the car belonged to a 89 year woman who was forbidden from driving. got to expect that out west i guess.

trogedon, Mar 2, 8:43pm
Or ANYWHERE you Geographical Racist.

cocabowla, Mar 2, 9:49pm
more humour than horror, owing to finances had to downgrade my car so did a deal from my 98 pulsar lx to a 88 corolla. the corolla hadnt been detailed and needed a small rust repair under the rear screen in the boot, anyway they gave me a honda city of rotten row . put up with it running rough as guts cold for a couple of days before i found a choke cable, lol ,had gotten used to automatic choke vehicles i'd never thought to look.

johnf_456, Mar 2, 10:01pm
A classic doh moment here, are you a blonde! Heck even my partner knows what to do when they see a choke knob slash symbol. Lol

Not really a horror story lol

paul271, Mar 2, 10:39pm
I have seen my courtesy cars in some bad states, but the best one was when I loaned it to a doctor who was new to the area, and he got lost one day. I got a call from the police to say that it was stuck in the cycle lane next to the north western motorway! Suffice to say, he paid the towing/crane bill for that one!

cocabowla, Mar 2, 10:48pm
well, thats why i said more humour than horror !

it was the mk1 city and at the time 6ft2 of me weighed in at 142kgso easily obscured. lol. now go away and drive at 99km/h will ya.

trogedon, Mar 3, 12:54am
Now that is funny!