Track racing with no rego/wof

ninja_man, Jan 12, 12:35am
is it possible to race a car with no rego/wof (and no cage) at pukekohe or HD! i know the trackdays at hampton downs require a wof/rego or a msnz approved cage. cheers

kcf, Jan 12, 1:09am
Single, Dual and Multi Car sprints yes.

"Race" as in National Race licence grade required, no.If the car isn't road legal, then the regs for Nat Race cars = roll protection needed.

kcf, Jan 12, 1:50am
Correct.

You can run it at "Clubsport" permit level events however.

But not at "Race" permit events.

robotix1970, Jan 12, 4:10am
only good for a derby.,oops edited to say drifting

vivac, Jan 12, 5:00am
Most open days will require a wof too, except at Puke, thye are wayyyyy to lax there.

ninja_man, Jan 12, 5:13am
yeah i know what you mean haha, me and a mate just want something to have fun in for as little cost as possible.

morrisman1, Jan 12, 5:16am
should be all good for clubsport sprints, just needs to go through a simple inspection where they just check for loose stuff and things like fire extinguisher, battery clamps etc.

ninja_man, Jan 12, 5:30am
thanks morrisman, so no good for circuit clubdays!

morrisman1, Jan 12, 5:53am
you could chat to the club and get it put through scruteneering, or else go to a WOF place and get an inspection done even though it couldn't actually be given a WOF. Just hold onto the inspection sheet.

Probably best to chat to your local club to see what would be considered acceptable

socram, Jan 12, 5:54am
I was under the impression that if the car is not modified, then a cage is not required, nor full harness belts, for racing, but that may of course only apply to classics. (We have a classic series, running on road tyres to Wof standard, where a cage is definitely not compulsory.)

Equally, a wof or rego isn't required either, but for racing, a logbook is required and the car is self scrutineered for two meetings out of three.

The first meeting does require scrutineering and the car must be scrutineered again after six months - though they can be audited at any meeting at any time.

If you are going cheap, then without a wof/rego, you'll need a trailer and something to tow it with.You'll also need an approved helmet and overalls and I think you'd be an idiot to not wear race gloves.

I agree, it would pay to take the car for a tough wof for a bit of peace of mind.

smac, Jan 12, 6:12am
socram, is that series (no cages) multiple cars on track or just timed! What do they class as modified!

kcf, Jan 12, 7:40am
Nope, modified or otherwise does not effect the roll protection requirements.

If you crank open Schedule A and have a look at the Roll Protection Requirement chart, have a looksie there :-).Chart 4.4 something off the top of my head.Haven't got the book anywhere nearby to quote though :-(.I don't think it has been changed in the last 10 years or so, so hopefully it hasn't changed since the last time I looked.

socram, Jan 12, 8:51am
Schedule AA - for classics.I think you must have forgotten that kcf!
My car has (voluntary) rollover bar/hoop (MSNZ approved) and a removable front diagonal that goes from the front of the roll over hoop tothe chassis in the passenger's footwell. If I didn't have the full harness belts, I could simply remove the front bar and get a WoF without an authority card.
We have run our series for 15 years and the standard cars do NOT need any rollover protection whatever.

If you run a full cage, I believe you have to be scrutineered to schedule A, not AA, but I haven't looked at the book for a while either.

smac - It is a full race series running at National meetings.Modifed generally means engine work.Uprated brakes we consider OK.