If i buy a car with no rego, not dead tho, who

wrinkley, Dec 5, 11:34pm
has to pay to get the rego up to date! do i! or when ownership gets changed can i rego it from the date a buy and the old rego get billed to old owner!

steph1211, Dec 5, 11:49pm
yup old owner gets the bill :)

bitsy_boffin, Dec 6, 12:07am
You pay only from the change of ownership, previous owner gets the bill for the back date.

If I were you though, I'd make sure they know that BEFORE you buy, wouldn't be the first person to have a seller strenuously demand you pay their bill when they get it.

crzyhrse, Dec 6, 12:36am
If the registered ownership change is done within 2 months of the expiry of last licence or exemption there is nothing owing.

wrinkley, Dec 6, 12:39am
rego ran out feb 2011

crzyhrse, Dec 6, 12:42am
Then it's going to be rather spendy for them if they didn't do an exemption from continuous licensing.

familiadude, Dec 6, 2:46am
this is untrue I had a car the rego expired on the 4/11/11 sold it on the 15/11/11 got a bill last week for $15 to get it from the 4 to the 15th

crzyhrse, Dec 6, 3:04am
Mate of mine did one 6 months back that was 6 weeks out of licensing and got no bill.

familiadude, Dec 6, 3:09am
no fair how come I got a bill then!oh maybe its the new government haha

franc123, Dec 6, 5:45am
Whatever for!Its not the buyers responsibility to protect sellers from their own ignorance and muppetry re the operation of continuous vehicle licensing, outstanding fees are the previous registered owners responsibility and not anyone elses.You could of course mutually agree to pay the fees if the purchase price is discounted far enough but sellers should not automatically expect this of buyers.

kazbanz, Dec 6, 6:50am
I hear what you are saying but realisticly why should a purchaser be held responsible for all or any debt incurred BEFORE they took possession of the vehicle!

tigra, Dec 6, 7:27am
If you watch Fairgo it seems to happen quite often for fines etc.