Volkswagen PASSAT W8 ?

Page 2 / 2
00basil00, Jan 14, 9:24am
Wouldnt waste me money on a w8 poosat, w8 engine is a fail. The audi a8 is a far better buy and the 4.2 v8 walks all over the w8

_frodo_, Jan 14, 8:31pm
Gees, angry much!what's with the abuse all the time!

hrt, Jan 14, 8:45pm
The W8s go great when they're going, but as people have said they do give some fairly common issues. Being that there aren't many around they're also hard to find second hand parts for quite often. The couple I have seen fail with bigend issues on one and a head gasket on the other were fairly major issues. The dealers weren't able to supply engine internals, it was a case of they would supply a new engine as not even bearings were available. I've heard of a few cars getting written off by mechanical insurance companies simply due to a knocking big end bearing. The last one through work had to have camshaft variators replaced, the thermostat replaced (which was over $1000 from memory). The little mesh grill that they run under the variators is a similar setup to the Golfs and things which can be a failure over age, but is made worse by poor maintenance. I nice car to drive, but I'd always be just waiting for it to break

scotty20001, Jan 15, 12:13am
yeah it does actually, but bear in mind it is belt driven and its a costly exercise to change it as the thermostat is located behind it, that's why i have never been a real fan of the Audi 5V V6 and 8 engines, i myself would go for a Merc E430 if i wanted a same size car, 540i might be worth a look too very nice quad cam V8 engine.

scotty20001, Jan 15, 12:19am
i give back what i get from these tossers.

scotty20001, Jan 15, 12:22am
in saying that my old mans one did 280,000 thou before we sold it (it did have the gearbox rebuilt though and the vvt filters cleaned out a quick way to do this is pulse 12v through the vvt solenoids as they are magnetic and that should free them up ) and they are a very very nice car to ride in the ride is just superb, limo soft with out being soggy he replaced with a C32 which is a nice car as well bloody fast but more sports orientated ride and handling still rides nice but pretty firm, and if you do get a W8 just prey like hell that the pre cat oxy sensors don't crap out as it requires engine out! after cats are no biggie once the cats failed on my old mans one he replaced them with screw in mini cats and that made the check engine light go away.

doug207, Jan 15, 1:58am
Scotty, the C32 inly had 260kw and was over 5sec to 100km/h.
Certainly a fast car, not 4.8 to 100 though. (I'm also a big fan of AMG Mercs.)

scotty20001, Jan 15, 4:29am
it is 4.8 i can assure you.

hotrodtodd1, Jan 16, 12:55am
Having owed a W8 for the past 4 years I can assure you that the motor is great. Pity that the gearbox isnt up to it, and that to get the o2 sensors out (theres 4 of them) and replaced is about $2500.

TPS replacement was about $1600 too

Its a great car but pretty spendy when it comes time to fix it. And its an eight year old car so the fixes come more often.

greeny, Jan 16, 2:08am
Try getting one for a nissan maxima I had one fall 5 years ago anf they were $2000 for a new one got a 3rd party clone for $850

bigfatmat1, Jan 16, 5:46am
I did a w8 alt it was in a mongrel place took the front of car off piece of piss with no front onnew alternator was about $850 Maxima alternators have been around the $500 mark for more than five years common as flies on a etheopian