Volkswagen Touran 2.0 FSI 7 SEATER 2004

Page 1 / 3
ianalice1, Jan 24, 6:26am
Hi all. Interested to know about the above vehicle. Until I read another thread on here, last night, I never heard of it. We presently have a 1999 Honda Odyssey, done over 160K now, we bought it at 99K. Looking at updating, sometime. Was wondering what these are like. Like does it have cam belt or chain. Reliability, comfort and size, in relation to Oddy. Any info, good or bad, appreciated. Thanks, Ian.

intrade, Jan 24, 6:31am
dont buy it from one of the european agets in auckland gilltrap is fine the other one is not.

ianalice1, Jan 24, 6:38am
Sorry, you lost me!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 6:40am
They are freeking amazing!
Basically what it is is a VW Golf with a chassis stretch and a high roof.

The Touran/Golf is lightyears ahead of the opposition (even the brand new opposition) and a lot of that comes down to their DSG gearbox. What makes the gearbox so great is it has at least 6 gears (more on some models) and while it can function like an automatic its actually a manual gearbox underneath.

What makes it all work is the sneaky use of two clutches which are operated along with the gear changes automatically (unless in manual mode)

So what does that mean!
All the economy and extra power of a 6 speed manual, all the low service requirements and most of the reliability of a manual. But with all the ease of use of an auto.

So as a car you are looking at a fraction of the running cost of the asian equivalents with similar performance. (In fact about half the running cost of some of the equivalents)

The FSI engine is also a cracker, yes its a cambelt engine but that carry's gains for economy etc so don't see it as a bad thing. Especially with its long change intervals and reasonable cost to change.

They are also very very safe, not sure how many airbags the Touran has but the Golf equivalent has a minimum of 12.

VW parts are easy to get and cheap, places like Qualitat import genuine parts and sell them at a great price. they do good prices on servicing too.

Modern VW's do about the best job of anyone of providing proper usefull technology while still maintaining reliability.

Couldn't recommend one enough!

By comparison the Odyssey is very outdated, thirsty and not in the same league for reliability. But not picking on the Odyssey. pretty much all the opposition is in the same boat.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 6:46am
BTW, I see you are local so if you get one don't buy or get one serviced from our local VW agents. They are beyond hopeless.

The Touran can be serviced easily 99% of the time by any competent general garage. I am happy to recommend one being a local if need be.

Also, don't pay too much for one. Pricing starts around 12K and if you are talking an early one I would be reluctant to go much over 15K for a really nice example.

Thats where we are so lucky. these things are stupidly undervalued in NZ. People don't even know what they are!

jono2912, Jan 24, 6:50am
You're quick tonight.

ianalice1, Jan 24, 6:56am
Sounds like a good machine and yes I have Googled. What I can't understand is the size of it. Like bigger or smaller than the Oddy!

ianalice1, Jan 24, 6:57am
We would most likely buy Hamilton or Auckland. Looked at cars, here. They maybe cheaper but, not sure.

craig04, Jan 24, 7:05am
Smaller than the Odyssey, but very efficiently laid out and rather roomy. Maybe a slightly smaller boot (lengthwise)with the back row of seats up but taller in the cabin.

morrisman1, Jan 24, 7:09am
Jazz, show me what golf has 12 airbags! I just had a look on the website and there is Driver and front passenger airbags, with front side airbags, drivers knee airbag and curtain airbags. That doesnt add up to 12 on my calculator!

craig04, Jan 24, 7:25am
On TM they seem to vary from 7 to 10 or 12

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 7:26am
Not usually a Turners fan but they do actually bring a lot of these in from Japan themselves and sell them direct. Keep an eye on their site, if its possible to get one checked by a decent mechanic (not the AA) it could be a way of getting one at a very good price.

They have lots that go for around 12K from what I have seen.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 7:29am
That's interesting, which ones had 7!
I have to admit this is not one of my usual well documented facts! Its something that I noticed on a few my folks bought in when they were new a few years ago and have seen out of the corner of my eye on advertisements.

Do be aware too that sellers can get these things horribly wrong on a regular basis. The number of 4 speed Auto Punto's I see on dealer listings is shocking (There are no auto Puntos only CVT and definitely no 4 stage ones!)

craig04, Jan 24, 7:31am
This one has 7. 321726256

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 7:33am
Actually. I might be remembering wrong!
I suspect its 10 or 12 depending on spec (Still loads though!)

If you do a search under Volkswagon and use " marks and search "14 airbags" "12 airbags" "10 aribags"

You should start to get the picture.

There is a Touran that comes up with 10 airbags so thats a clue for poster 1 as well.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 7:35am
I think thats fairly safe to say it will be an error. Given its a 2010 its pretty unlikely. ALTHOUGH. it is a Kiwi one and to be honest I am not sure on how much you can change on the option list. I am still very doubtful though.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 8:32am
Sorry to have sidetracked your thread poster 1. If its any help to you and you find a local one I would be happy to take a look and give you an opinion on it.

Might help weed out an obvious lemon before you pay money to have it properly checked over.

BTW. to give you an idea of economy. In the smaller sleeker Golf body we managed to get an easy 4.7l/100km between Katikati and Hamilton. Thats pretty amazing for a 2.0 with plenty of grunt.

Best of luck with it all.

cocabowla, Jan 24, 8:40am
dont mind intrade, he gets lots of bees in his bonnet

cocabowla, Jan 24, 8:41am
my brother runs a lease one for his euro wine business in oz and loves it to bits.

ianalice1, Jan 24, 8:49am
Thanks for the offer.

Lots of interesting stuff here.

I guess we'll have to find one and have a look.

I'll check back in the morning, as my beds calling.

Night all.

ianalice1, Jan 24, 7:23pm
Nothing more! Thanks for the input and thejazzpianomafor your offer

ianalice1, Jan 27, 5:23am
Hey all. Found what looks to be a nice one, in Hamilton. Pushed all the right buttons. 91,943km, said would do cam belt/water pump etc. 7 air bags and heaps of bells and whistles and at $14,990 is a bit high, I think. Any how, problem is it'sin Hamilton and we in Papamoa/Tauranga and wife and I are not well enough to drive over to check it out. So have to let it go. I will have to keep and eye out for one over this way. If anyone knows of one, can you let me know! Thanks. I'll bookmark this and check it each day.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 27, 5:31am
Sorry to hear you are both not well. I will be sure to keep an eye out although being prepared to travel a little bit to get a good one might be worth while when you are well.

Keep an eye on turners.co.nz as well as trademe. Turners bring in a lot straight off the boat from Japan, but most are sold in the bigger centers.

Best of luck!

Edit, there are four at turners penrose at the moment (which is pretty normal). When you are up to it making a pilgrimage to Turners Penrose with a trusted mechanic might be the shot.

Chances of getting a good one out of the 4 or so on hand at the time is good and when you are buying around the 12K mark paying a mechanic for a couple of hours to come and check them should work out to be good value.

Will keep looking down here for you as well though!

ianalice1, Jan 27, 10:15am
Thanks, for that.
This is what gets me, "Turners bring in a lot straight off the boat from Japan, but most are sold in the bigger centers". When I looked at one, on Carjam, said ex Germany. Why they come from Japan!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 28, 3:58am
Good question!

First thing, Carjam info can be misleading. Sometimes the country of manufacture can be mixed up with the country of previous registration.

Anyhow just to make it clear. Volkswagen Auto Group is the manufacturer and they are a German company. (They also make Audi, Skoda etc). They sell cars new everywhere obviously including Japan. Because NZ has favourable trading with Japan and the prices of Japanese used cars are cheap (regardless of whether those cars are actually made in Japan or not) then it can make sense to import them as used vehicles. So those cars at turners have been bought new in Japan by someone, they have used it for a while then it has been sold at auction and bought for export to NZ by Turners.

In fact, I think you will find the vast majority of Touran's will be ex Japanese used ones.

Also, sometimes VW and other companies will manufacture and or assemble their cars in other countries as well as selling them there. (Like Ford who manufacture in the U.S, Belgium, Britain etc, and Toyota who used to assemble here in NZ in Thames) But in this instance I think the Japanese cars are actually built up in Germany and shipped relatively complete.

There are a fair number of Kiwi new Golf's around by the way but I have not noticed any Tourans as yet. This won't affect your ability to buy parts or anything just in case you were worried.

I hope you are both feeling better today.