The sweet sound of a V8

Page 1 / 2
gadgit3, Jan 30, 10:55pm
Dose this sound make people (other road uses) think I want to race or I need to be in front!
Driving to Waihi the other day. I was sitting on 100km/h in my 1990 High roof LWB Hiace (no race car but fitted with a 1UZ and decent exhaust) I come up behind a RX8 doing 90km/h. Passing lane coming up, sweet as I'll sit in behind. But when we got to the passing lane there was 50km/h road work signs and the right hand lane had been resealed so loose stones everywere. The RX8 drops a gear and pulls into the right hand lane infront of me spraying me with stones and speeding up well over 100km/h. no other cars on the road but me all ready behind!
I happly sat in the left lane and folowed him through the gouge and out the other side where there is another passing lane and by this time there was 2 cars infront of us. So we both pulled out and he procedded to sit on 95-98km/h to pass these other slower cars holding me back till the end of the passing lanes where he dropped a gear again and pulled infront of the first car leaving me to pull back because of lack of lane left. oh well I'll sit behind grandad doing 80km/h into waihi.
I just can't get what was going on in his mind did he think I wanted to race! or challange him in some way! did he even think my Hiace had a chance with the aero dinamics of a shoe box!
LOL rant over

foxdonut, Jan 31, 1:28am
You put a V8 engine in a Hiace.

What did you expect would happen! A reduction in fuel costs and an invite to the local RSA to judge the local cake baking competition!

gadgit3, Jan 31, 1:42am
Reduction in over all cost yes. I had a diesel auto 3L using 13L/100km
the 1UZ is 10.6l/100km. Diesel rego $640/year Petrol $333/year. I needed a High roof van as my son is in a wheel chair and I need a bit of power cause I tow a 5m boat and the old diesel was 30km/h up a decent where as I can load up and tow the boat at the speed limit all day long with the V8.
I didn't expect any baking comps but I also don't expect to have the front of my van sprayed with stones from a car in the wrong lane for no good reason.

gadgit3, Jan 31, 1:42am
Reduction in over all cost yes. I had a diesel auto 3L using 13L/100km
the 1UZ is 10.6l/100km. Diesel rego $640/year Petrol $333/year. I needed a High roof van as my son is in a wheel chair and I need a bit of power cause I tow a 5m boat and the old diesel was 30km/h up a decent hill where as I can load up and tow the boat at the speed limit all day long with the V8.
I didn't expect any baking comps but I also don't expect to have the front of my van sprayed with stones from a car in the wrong lane for no good reason.

kamikaze5, Jan 31, 1:45am
You put a V8 in a Hiace, YEAH! Cheaper than the overall costs of running a diesel nowadays,I couldnt wait to get rid of my diesel.

bellky, Jan 31, 1:57am
interesting

modie61, Jan 31, 2:37am
You should have backed off to 50kph in the road works and let him go,road rage isint worth it .

gadgit3, Jan 31, 2:43am
I did. I buttoned off at the first sight of the signs, they were at the base of the passing lane but a 20B rotor swaping down a few cogs in a hurry and swaping lanes can sure throw those stones some distance.

i-n-horz, Jan 31, 2:49am
It's amazing what actions jealousy can manifest.obviously he was intimidated by the growl of your 8 and felt the need to flex his foolish immaturity.ya van sounds like a sweet machine ;)

jason18, Jan 31, 3:16am
It wasnt a grey/silver rx8 was it. I had a similar thing happen to me on way to waihi on sunday

wrong2, Jan 31, 3:22am
on the other hand, as the driver of a very cheap to run car that also has decent overtaking ability, im passing loads & loads of faster, more thirsty cars that are being nana driven

makes me wonder why they bother owning one

wrong2, Jan 31, 3:24am
wow, i was struggling to get 11 km/l from my hilux 3L

funny thing is, with the 4cyl gone, the handeling hasnt suffered - the cast iron diesel weighed as much as the V8 does

bellky, Jan 31, 3:26am
you must be joking. 20b will kick bum

wrong2, Jan 31, 3:30am
you must tugg yourself often

gadgit3, Jan 31, 3:32am
Thats my whole point. a small sports car with a more then capable engine and the driver is acting like he's intimmidated by my moving brick wall lol

bellky, Jan 31, 3:34am
come on. he may have just been looking for a bit of fun. or driving his car got his adrenaline going and, well you know.

gadgit3, Jan 31, 3:34am
Yea it was a gray/silver one with a P/Plate

gadgit3, Jan 31, 3:39am
Oh yea bit of fun blearing off up a lane with loose metal sturing up stones in my face then get to the next passing lane and hold me up till the last sec and take off ! sounds like a heap of fun

bellky, Jan 31, 3:44am
i'm not condoning his behaviour, i'm just saying

saxman99, Jan 31, 4:04am
People just don't wanna follow vans is all.

bellky, Jan 31, 4:05am
only cause you can't see the road in front of them

gadgit3, Jan 31, 4:06am
Lol fair enough but I don't have may people follow me.

modie61, Jan 31, 4:09am
Thats just normal behaviour nowadays mate. We used to have a red VZ V8 Commy and everyone just had to get past us,bloody dangerous sometimes.

gadgit3, Jan 31, 4:17am
Yip passing lanes are getting to be a nightmare now whenever theres something elce with a bit of power on board. I've been cut off a few times and also pushed along in a drag type race only to sit inbehind and have the car infront slow down to 90km/h after the passing lane lol I put it down to small man syndrome "i've just got to be infront" and "I can't let a VAN pass me"
I love to let loose now and then, but when driving the van I will 95% of the time have my 2 kids onboard so I'm not going to do anything to put them in danger.

i-n-horz, Jan 31, 12:03pm
The joys of saddling a scoot.passing is effortless.passing lanes! not necessary.most idiots that like to be in front at the risk of driving dangerously I'll eventually be on their tail (lawfully) then pass with ease.