Chrysler to join V8 Supercars

Page 1 / 2
richard198, Jan 26, 5:57am
http://www.sanjayacars.com/2012-dodge-challenger-srt8-392-yellow-jacket.html
Chrysler express an interest in "joining in".
All you Holden and Ford fans look out!

hatchback, Jan 26, 5:59am
Like the sound of that, Challenger a nice change from the run of the mill Holden and Ford

virago72, Jan 26, 6:11am
yeah.na. , doubt it mate, Challenger only 2 doors!

skin1235, Jan 26, 6:19am
thought they were only allowed to run 5 ltr engines, 426 cubes is pretty close to 7 lt, wonder if it could run against ford/holden with a smaller donkey

richard198, Jan 26, 6:21am
Of course, they will develop a vehicle to suit the race rules. (!)

They may even develop the 300C!
(All you Ford and Holden fans can sigh collectively in relief!)

skin1235, Jan 26, 6:49am
so the other issue, manufacturing in aus!, nissan cannot run their v8's due to country of origin clauses, do rootes/dodge/chrysler still rpoduce FKD (Full Knocked Down) or indeed build from scratch on aus soil

neville48, Jan 26, 7:04am
If "The General" pulls the plug on Holden and Ford stops wth the V8'S then Chrysler will certainly be a winner even with a Hilman Hunter methinks.

skin1235, Jan 26, 7:08am
lol you're saying both ford and holden may use the challenge as a deal breaker and quit the bent eights rather than line up

richard198, Jan 26, 7:19am
It really is a small private club, isn't it!
I'm amazed that even BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai and Toyota have all expressed interest at some time over the past two years!
It doesn't do anything for me. Just not enough competition is allowed.
I.E. it isn't a competition at all!

skin1235, Jan 26, 7:23am
even walkinshaw had to buy a ford to keep his name alive, he wasn't allowed to run jags anymore

skin1235, Jan 26, 7:25am
but then again its aussy and they make the rules to suit themselves
I know it's been a long time but underarm tactics sure win trophies - for them

lookoutas, Jan 26, 7:43am
It won't matter - it'll still only be a 888 with a Chrysler stamp on the engine block, and different body panels.

pebbles61, Jan 26, 8:40am
so it'll be more of the same cars with a different badge.yay

dante055, Jan 26, 9:12am
i thought the had a generic engine ready for new makes under the COTF rules.
i think it great.and race fans will love it.better than a bmw or audi joining

richardmayes, Jan 26, 7:26pm
Fordor Holdin people will never accept any other makes in V8SC, not even the U.S. V8 cars they try to emulate.

And the V8SC organisation know their fans are so entrenched in the status quo, that if they start considering changes to the cars that will only be a sign that the whole business is in dire straits.

[I tried reading that article about the 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Yellow Jacket. so it is basically a parts bin special, and the main (only) thing that sets it apart is it has different instruments than an ordinary Challenger. whoop de doo.

Sorry, it has yellow stripes on the seats too. ]

foxdonut, Jan 26, 9:57pm
Boot lid, headlamp assembly, wing mirrors, front grill.

Those are the only parts you need to run in v8sc. Everything else is purpose built by third parties and regulated by fia.

Lada could run a car and it would be exactly the same specs as a commodore.

richard198, Jan 26, 11:59pm
Yeah, so many shared parts between the two!
I agree with #15; V8SC Org. will end up blocking it. (It's a private club, after all!)

elect70, Jan 27, 1:27am
foxdonut got it rightthe cars are just shilouette racers,same as new NZ super toureres are, fit any body on itrest ispurpose built from ground up .

floscey, Jan 27, 1:41am
As long as you have to use old school pushrod engines the Japs and Germans wont want to engineer backwards. Maybe Holden could jump into the new millenium and make a OHC engine .

foxdonut, Jan 27, 1:48am
The reason other marques don't enter is because there's no brand benefit in doing so, not because Ford AU or Holden move to block them.

The only other companies with a V8 Saloon in the southern hemisphere are the Euro's, and there's no point them coming along because the traditional demographic for the V8SC isn't the typical buyer of a new Audi or BMW.

Japan and Korea can talk it up all they want, but without a V8 to sell to the punters after the race, again - there's no point entering.

No point putting up all the coin if no one is going to buy your car afterwards, let alone the potential for embarrassment if the Falcodore drivers win the races and everyone assumes that an actual Commodore is able to beat the "big names" - like in that joke event a while back at Bathurst (24 hour) where two re-bodied 7 litre Corvette C5R Le Man (LMGT1 category) endurance racers trumped some N-GT Ferrari's and Porsches, and suddenly the CV8 Commodore (with its 15+ second quartermile) was somehow a better performer than a Ferrari 360.

As it stands its a great race to watch. If anyone else wanted to enter there'd be very little stopping them. Fact is they don't because there's no point.

loose.unit8, Jan 27, 1:49am
I'll believe it when I see it.Rumors go around every couple of years about a new manufacturer joining but it never happens.Last time it was Toyota wasn't it!And before that Mitsubishi! Pretty cool if it did happen though

foxdonut, Jan 27, 1:52am
What's so "New millennium" about overhead camshafts!

rsr72, Jan 27, 2:09am
-'interested', says Chrysler.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/motorsport/news/article/-/12730497/chrysler-c/

Not really a signed-up entry.

lookoutas, Jan 27, 4:39am
Toyota don't need to prove anything - they already outsell the rest.

cocabowla, Jan 27, 5:15am
gary rodgers is first to confirm he's in negotiations with chrysler