Which turbo for Nissan SR20DET?

countrywidemoco, Jan 16, 6:45am
Anyone out there have any experience with SR20DETs!
I have a S15 neo sr20det which needs a turbo replacement.
It has been transplanted into another car so will have a front mount intercooler (VR4 or EVO size). Apart from that and a Power FC controller it will be standard.
I am looking at either a T28or T4.
Which would suit it better!

fionabc, Jan 16, 7:32am
Gt2871r is a good bolt on upgrade capable of decent power & still responsive. Just stay away from cheap Chinese rubbish

mears69, Jan 16, 7:46am
i have a gti-r with a SR20DET and that has a T28.

As above dont buy the cheep Chinese one they are shit house.

How is your engine mounted mine is side was or horizontal so that does restrict what turbo i can fit without high mounting it.

mears69, Jan 16, 7:47am
sorry try a HKS GT2530, they are a turbo upgrade for the SR20

countrywidemoco, Jan 16, 8:24am
Its mounted north/south there is quite a bit of room. It a race car so I can mod stuff and not have to have it certified.
I'll check out an HKS

fionabc, Jan 16, 8:33am
Hks turbos are made by Garrett and are about twice the price of Garrett

mears69, Jan 16, 9:07am
your right , HKS don't make turbochargers , they get Garrett to do that .
Some time back HKS had Garrett make up turbine/compressor ball bearing cartridge combinations and had the exclusive rights to sell them . If Garrett happened to have suitable housings HKS used them , if not HKS had unique ones made to suit the application and the Garrett supplied cartridge .
My understanding is that HKS having different specs and exclusive right to sell them even though Garrett make them.

they are alot more expensive than Garrett.

falcon15, Jan 16, 10:01pm
how much is your budget and what sort of racing are you planning on doing. if your after a decent cheaper option i would go with a masterpowers turbo if you have a bit more money to spend then a garrett would be the go. The size of the turbo will depend on what sort of power your aiming for

1ollie, Jan 16, 10:51pm
S15 SR20DET isint a NEO by the way. What you will get depends on your budget probably $250-$400 will get you a good second hand T28 off a S15 or a GTI-R then your next best bet is a new Masterpower MP T28 at around $900 then if you have a bit of a bigger budget go for a new Garrett GT2871R at around $1900. The days of buying a HKS, GReddy, Apexi and similar turbo are gone as you can get similar or better turbos for nearly half the price.

countrywidemoco, Jan 17, 2:55am
I'll be competing in the winter series and Manfeild and a few club sprints andhillclimbs. Nothing too serious. I was planning to keep it pretty standard for a start.

zoltec45, Jan 17, 4:27am
Keep it standard. The S13 has a T25 journel bearing turbo. S14 has T28 journel bearing. S15 has T28 with ball bearing. The standard s15 turbo will max out and restrict flow at about 6500 rpm and max out at 250rwkw but make boost easily down low so spool time and turbo lag are low- eg it is the most responsive you can have. It depends what kind of racing you plan on doing also. A basic exhaust and intake upgrade can be good but the best net kw gain is from a good tuner and a good aftermarket ECU.

zoltec45, Jan 17, 4:30am
Do the small things also you can do yourself like honing out the exhaust manifold, I have heard of a 10kw gain just by doing this. A cold air box and hi flow exhaust will improve performance a lot. If your going for a PFC then you probably know all this already anyway- Also mid mounting the intercooler between front of car and the radiator can cut 1-1.5m of intercooler piping out of the way too. Larger TB will improve response, join a forum, they usually have the best answers

trdbzr, Jan 17, 4:42am
The SR20DE TB was larger than the turbo version, so this was a popular swap.

vivac, Jan 17, 7:19am
zoltec, you are a bit off in your power levels there.
A standard t28 will be maxxed with around 200rwKw.
OP, you want a Garrett GT2871r, 52 trim 0.64 exhaust housing, depending on your other mods you can get up to 280rwKw with standard like boost response. This would be a good turbo as a stepping stone, as you modify it can push more than your standard fuel system and AFM will handle, but your response wont suffer as you build it up.
Also you can get them landed for around $1650-$1700.

falcon15, Jan 17, 7:39am
if you have purple injectors the will max out at around 200kw aswell the brown injectors will be good for a bit more power

countrywidemoco, Jan 17, 7:50am
The manifold has been honed already I think, it has been running the PFC when it was in the 200sx, it had an accident and the turbo was damaged unfortunately. Will have cold air box made, there isn't much room between the rad and engine so it will have to be front mounted. I have a std Fiat diff so not sure how much power I can put through it before it breaks. cant remember what colour my injectors are

countrywidemoco, Jan 17, 7:52am
Any one had any experiences with the Master power R545 turb!

falcon15, Jan 17, 8:22am
im not sure on that turbo im running a masterpower mp04e turbo on my sr20det though and havnt had any problems with it

marmatt, Jan 17, 6:53pm
gt 3540witha small rearbetter to go bigger and run less boost than to upgrade after a while

vivac, Jan 17, 9:14pm
What is your target power level.
Most stop just under 300Kw as then you start blowing gearboxes and whatnot, hence my turbo choice.

countrywidemoco, Jan 18, 6:05am
Brown injectors. I'm happy with 250ish

vivac, Jan 19, 5:36am
2871R. make sure you get the .64 rear not the .86 as it is far laggier.