Trademe's Ford gurus questions

nave12, Mar 8, 6:47am
Hi all Ford techs on here,my question is my mate has a 1990 falcon 5 speed 3.9 single point injection and has started losing power,we took off the dizzy cap and sanded all the contact points(6) as they were like snow white corrosion and seem to be pitted(corrosion eaten into the contacts)also the rotor will not budge when we tried to remove it.Would a new dizzy cap help and what other minor things should we check,spark plugs are about 10,000 ks old,ideas how to get the rotor out,cheers.

unbeatabull, Mar 8, 7:01am
I actually worked on one of these the other day with similar problem to yours, turned out to be Fuel Filter blocked . did have 160,000 odd clicks on the clock though.

Id be checking Leads and Plug Gaps as well, some of them started arcing down the sides of the HT Leads into the spark plugs, check the plugs for any sign of a trace or crack along the sides, will only be about a hairline thick but can be seen by eye.

nave12, Mar 8, 7:39am
This one has done 189,000 so could definatly do with a new fuel filter change,what gap should the spark plugs be reading.

fordcrzy, Jun 29, 6:46pm
if you can't get the rotor off for now, try advancing the ignition timing a few degrees. by sanding the contacts you will have retarded the timing just a bit. try spraying the rotor with wd 40 or simiar then try again in a week. if it still doesnt come off. drill a small hole down the center of the rotor and spray wd in there so it gets on the shaft.