Volvo Truck help

pineapplehead1, Mar 8, 10:45am
we have a volvo truck at work and the Tacho has stopped working. Can anyone tell me what powers the tacho,Its a large six cyl diesel so I know its sensed off the ignition coil.I dont really want to pull it all apart with out at least finding out how they are sensed. Yes all the fuses are OK and it has power and an earth at the dash .Sorry dont know the year or model but it has a flat front and would guess as late 90s.

keith18, Mar 8, 1:41pm
usuallythe alternator supplys the rev counter

robinm1, Mar 8, 4:33pm
If you "KNOW" it is sensed from the "IGNITION COIL" on your 6 cylinder diesel, I would suggest that you take it to an auto sparky, as obviously you do not have the faintest idea of what you are doing!-
!

tmenz, Mar 8, 8:08pm
I suggest you ring the local agent and ask the service manager!
Alliance Trucks and Buses, I think is the Auckland agent.
I don't know a lot about Volvo diesel trucks but I do know it won't be off an ignition coil.

intrade, Mar 8, 8:12pm
you better dont tutch anything as you seem to not know anything. diesel dont have ignition coils i would not know what for they would need a ignition coil to begin with.

bigfatmat1, Jul 1, 7:11am
Your post makes sense. You know how its sensed then you would like to know where it is sensed before you pull it apart. Which you must of done to find it had power and earth. I think your best bet with your limited knowledge would be take it to a auto sparky or volvo dealership. Btw depending on year and model it could be off the alternator,its own pick up,Also the rev counters are a common failure,