How to tell IRS from LIVE AXLE on a AU FALCON

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 10, 9:06am
Looking at a AU futura heritage series for towing my racecar (yes i gave in). Whats the easiest way to get the seller to find out if his car is IRS or Live Axle!

I know futura came out with live axle standard, but IRS was an option and need to be sure its not IRS.

Also feel free to comment on whether or not a AU falcon sedan will be a good option to tow my racecar with. Is there much difference between the sedan and wagon towing capabilities!

im_andrew, Mar 10, 9:15am
ask the seller to post a pic of the diff.

Though on one of those, I would be much more worried about rust than your rear suspension setup

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 10, 9:21am
where do they rust! He said the hinge where the boot strut holds onto has rusted so thats gone. Wont be a wof issue i think. But hes getting new wof before sale.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 10, 9:41am
Would it be exhaust above diff/axles - Live axle
And exhaust under diff/axles - IRS

Only looking at say $200 to cut out rust and weld in a new patch for wof for that issue (what I paid to get rust cut out and welded up in my commodore by boot hinge)! Or is it a bitch of a spot!

dr_blueoval, Mar 10, 9:54am
IRS was not available on Futura, it was optional on Fairmont and XR6 (with VCT engine), and standard on Fairmont Ghia upwards.Even then there were very few Fairmonts and XR6's so equipped.Tow ratings for all automatic AU's is 1600kg, assuming a genuine bar is used and 2300kg with the H/D pack.Wagons naturally still use the leaf spring beam axle and as such do tend to behave better with a heavy load on, and is actually rated to 1300 odd kg total axle load.It goes without saying that a proper tube and fin external trans cooler should be used when towing at these weights, and a load leveller is highly desirable too.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 10, 10:04am
With all respect that you know what you're talking about, Websites I have read said that IRS was an option on all sedans.

And would there be another name for a load leveller as I searched it on trademe to get prices but only come up with engine removal load levellers.

Will definately be putting an external trans cooler in.

chris_051, Mar 10, 10:06am
Grouse cars I've had two AU Futuras, ex cabs, second owner of both, first one had done 470k when i sold it unopened engine and original untouched gearbox, second one had done 570k when i sold it this time last year, unopened engine again but second box, wish i didn't sell, one of the best cars I've owned, good for 7.5l/100km open road, could tow 2 tonne easy but that fuel figure would tripple lol. If they've been outside all their life esp in coastal areas they will rust under neath the rubbers of the door and boot seals, underneath the rubbers of the front windscreens, inside the sills, on the seams/joins underneath front footwells, and as mentioned by the boot strut mounts, This is worst case senario, all the ones I've seen that have been well looked after private cars haven't had rust. All Futuras or low spec AUs had the solid axles.

jmma, Mar 10, 10:22am

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 10, 10:44am
Too right about that mate. Best not be buying a dud eh.

Am i right about the under and over exhausts with live and IRS. Thats how it is with the commodores. should be same for ford i would imagine (and most other companies too)

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 11, 12:39am
Update: Hes going to ask the mechanic if its IRS or Live Axle when he gets the wof done this arvo, this will help avoid confusion.

tobusy4u, Mar 11, 8:46am
all the same fish may correct me. but ford irs was double wishbone which will tow fine rather than single trailing arm in commodore which is crap on early modelsbut got better on later models

1fordluva, Mar 11, 9:10am
Yes all the ones I looked at in australia were like that.
No room to go over with Irs.or was it under arghhh failing memory

frd1, Mar 11, 11:28pm
Got an AU2 wagon with 5.0 V8. Brilliant towing the double horse float or tandem car trailer, much safer than the AU Futura sedan I had which I rated as the dodgiest tow car I ever owned. All advice has been to leave the auto in 3, on power setting and let it make it's own mind up e.g. don't shift it manually.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 12, 2:00am
Cheers for the info on leaving it in 3rd in power mode.

Bit of a bugger what you say about the futura as ive comitted to buying it now. Perhaps you had a dodgy one some how!

The guy im buying it off has towed a 21ft boat (unbraked) and a caravan a few times and said it was a breeze.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 12, 2:01am
Couldnt say for certain, but the websites I have been on say IRS was an option on all sedans. And standard on fairmont ghia, xr6 and xr8.

frd1, Mar 13, 12:03am
I got the AU Futura brand new as a company car and then bought it out at book value for myself. I'd put money on IRS not being on the option sheet because I did tick a few boxes including LSD. It was the first of the AU's and it sat too high, later ones were lowered from the factory in production. I traded an EF Futura on it and it was a better tow car only because we had slotted XR6 suspension into that and it was too much of a culture shock going to the std. AU. The AU was way too loose in the rear for towing anything heavy but it's an easy fix so just factor it in.

chris_051, Jul 14, 9:03am
Yep have never seen a Forte, Futura or Fairmont with IRS, pretty sure they don't exist. Also the XR6 HP came with the live axle unlike the XR6 VCT.
I had about 1.5t on the back of my Futura a few times akl-taupo and back no worries, apart from the fuel consumption lol.