Where to get Trailer Evaluated

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 14, 6:57am
Just brought a tandem braked car transporter trailer. Stupidly told the person at Insurance Co I paid $3000, so she went ahead to insure it for that, but I got a good deal and to be honest a replacement trailer in as good condition (homemade 2010 trailer) would cost more around the $4000.

Lady said have to insure it for what paid, and If i want an agreed value for $4000 need to get evaluation done by suitable person/company, and then can insure it for more than $3000.

Im in Napier, so where in Hawkesbay would I take the trailer to get an evaluation! And would I be looking at much of a cost!

Cheers

johnf_456, Mar 14, 7:09am
Another insurance company and tell them its 4k. lol

mrfxit, Mar 14, 8:23am
Ask "unideck" for a reference to another trailer manufacture in your area.
The only valuation that insurence will probably accept is from a large professional trailer builder

unideck, Mar 14, 11:33am
skyline_guy_r34 wrote:
Just brought a tandem braked car transporter trailer. Stupidly told the person at Insurance Co I paid $3000, so she went ahead to insure it for that, but I got a good deal and to be honest a replacement trailer in as good condition (homemade 2010 trailer) would cost more around the $4000.

Firstly its near impossible to build a transporter (a good quality one that is) for 4k, unless your building it yourself. Try the late 7-8k mark and your getting close. I know Kea have an agent in your town as well as Prescott trailers, go with Kea, they tend to be far friendlier than most.

Most will charge approx $zero$, just ask them to scribble down the value of your unit on the back of a business card and present this to your insurance company, thats is all you need. We used to do it all the time for customers :)

matthew111, Mar 14, 11:36am
the AA

pollymay, Mar 14, 11:45am
That pack of dicks couldn't value a car with the sticker still on it.

Get a hold of someone that knows trailers like a place that builds them. Many factors determine value such as thickness of side boxings, quality of the brakes used, what kind of deck, does it tip, is the tip electric or hydraulic, electric winches, what are the railings like, what could it handle, is it hot dipped. Those are all features that cost, the price of steel is zany even for building your own.which requires a lot of effort and a bit of thought.

pnh4, Mar 14, 11:59am
A trailers easy to build, they require alot of steel to build but, especially auto trailers & dolly's, better to build a rigid axle one if its just a weekend home.

socram, Mar 14, 7:55pm
I just informed my insurance what I wanted it insured for and that was it.The only reason I insured it was the increasing frequency of trailer thefts.

smac, Mar 14, 9:50pm
The end user of the valuation is your insurer, so get them to tell you who to use.

smac, Mar 14, 10:50pm
Yup. He knows what it's worth, he just needs somebody to put that number on letter head.
There is no point going to the effort of tracking down some reputable trailer valuer guy (if such a thing exists) just to have the insurer turn around and say "yeah nah, don't know them". SO you find out who it is they will accept a value from.
They are likely to say "don't care, as long as they know what they're talking about" (been through the same thing myself) in which case you just cruise to a local dealer and get them to scribble a number on the back of their card.
At the end of the day if the OP doesn't like the number, he finds a better insurer, there's no risk like you're implying by him using somebody the insurer is happy with.

hotrodtodd1, Mar 14, 11:49pm
I just had my car transporter trailer pinched a coupe of weeks ago and it was insured for "market value" tho I had said I thought it was worth about $6,000.

NZI sent the details I sent to them to some trailer outfit and they came back with a valuation (sight unseen) of $8,000. I have priced a replacement and its about $10,000.But I think NZI have been pretty good to me.

By the way, does your trailer tilt and how wide is it between the guards!

hotrodtodd1, Mar 14, 11:52pm
NZI were very fair. Their argument is that mine was second hand, so the value of a new one isnt that relevant. I would suggest you take photos of your trailer and insure it with NZI

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 15, 3:22am
Non tilting but the deck is 1.9m wide so can fit almost anything on the trailer.

socram, Mar 15, 3:32am
By the way, the more you insure anything for, the higher the premiums - basic really.You are just hoping that you don't have to claim and they are also hoping that they don't have to pay out.

hotrodtodd1, Jul 22, 7:01pm
Gee, the one I had was 1.9m between the guards and 2.5m wide overall. And it was 2.5m wide at the back too (to fit my t bucket) and it had a nosecone.

My advice is to insure it with NZI. I have found them very fair