Towing with a bmw 323i

windinmyhair, Jan 24, 4:45am
hi, i want to instal a tow bar to my 96 bmw 323i, could anyone tell me if this car would be up to towing horse floats etc heavy weights! cheers

mugenb20b, Jan 24, 4:47am
Light trailers, yes. Horse floats, no. That's just my opinion.

snj11, Jan 24, 5:49am
fine for taking a load off rubbish to the dump, towing a horse float will kill it

amberleighe, Aug 7, 11:20pm
It will be fine Towing ONE horse. Mainly because of the weight. And it handles it all well, I would know, as I use my 1993 325i to tow one horse around everywhere. Never had any issues, trans handles it fine, and going up hills is all sweet :)
Because it is a light car however one horse Max.

floscey, Aug 7, 11:23pm
probably more suited to being towed .

bellky, Aug 7, 11:24pm
Don't even consider it. You will be a nuisance and a danger to yourself and other road users.

fiatracer, Aug 7, 11:36pm
if it's an auto, and you go ahead, put it into sport mode. This should lock out 4th gear, and also make it rev higher, so the torque converter is working less hard.

smac, Aug 7, 11:39pm
DO you guys saying don't do it even knowwhat a single horse and float weighs!

arjanvk, Aug 7, 11:51pm
I would check what specs the tow bar has on it that way you no how much you CAN tow.

We have just had a tow bar put on a subaru forester 2003. It is weighted to 1300kg i think,so I would only ever tow a breaked float with one horse or two small ponies in it.

You have to remember about the weight and type of float as heavy floats can push small cars about, as well as size of your horse.

AND car frames can stretch overtime so i have heard putting to much strain on it while towing BIG loads :P

jokerboss, Aug 7, 11:53pm
as much as a small car : yep

I would advise against it as well, even if the trailer is braked

arjanvk, Aug 7, 11:53pm
Soooo get a quote first and the dealer will inform you as to the maximum load your car can handle :)

jokerboss, Aug 8, 12:00am
google the topic title leads here : http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php!t=511463

bellky, Aug 8, 12:00am
Yep, a single horse float and horse weighs about the absolute maximum a car like that can tow - lets say 900-1100kg.

Double horse float about double that weight.

smac, Aug 8, 12:08am
You've met the horse, and seen the float!

the-lada-dude, Aug 8, 5:09am
just realize, when you attach the float with said horse aboard, you'll have one extra HP to help out ( sorry fellas, it's the best i can do )

vtecnet, Aug 8, 6:14am
I'd recommend a 5 Series BMW, much tougher Heavier car, 530i should do the job, but ideally the 540i V8