Towing laws !

turn-key, Dec 15, 9:58am
Can someone settle a debate . A mate has plans to tow his 24 ft caravan PLUS a trailer ( hooked on to back of caravan ) with hisNIssan Van.Sounds very dodgy to me. Legal or not !

vtecintegra, Dec 15, 10:04am
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/glovebox-guide-safe-loading-towing/guide-safe-loading-towing.html

Relevant section:
Note: Remember that a car, utility vehicle or light van is not permitted to tow more than one trailer or vehicle.

suplyuparts, Dec 15, 10:04am
doesnt sound like that will work out good.why would he do that anyway.!/!

turn-key, Dec 15, 10:08am
Thats what we are asking him .wants to take a trailer with kids bikes etc onas well as tow the caravan . Very dodgy I reckon.

turn-key, Dec 15, 10:09am
vtecintegra thanks for that site. That picture with the big red X is exactly what we envisage him trying to do.

crzyhrse, Dec 15, 11:52am
Not legal.

morrisjvan, Dec 15, 8:39pm
put the bikes in the caravan

thunderbolt, Dec 15, 9:21pm
Lol, Nissan Vanette B Train.

ralphdog1, Dec 15, 9:22pm
Was legal many years ago, I remember seeing and EIP Vauxhall towing a caravan (about a 16ft one) and a boat behind that of the same size. Frightening. Imagine trying to stop it in a hurry.
Thankfully the law is now diferent.

amberjandal, Dec 15, 10:24pm
Weld a bike rack to the front of the a-frame on the caravan - that works for me. Thats half his problem solved.

poppajn, Dec 15, 10:50pm
Drawbars have a rateing, then there is length restrictions and I shudder to think about the power of his towing vechicle.

mrfxit, Dec 16, 12:13am
Correct for domestic situations.^ ^

Some commercial & fair ground contractors do it legally but are under VERY tight operating conditions including very exactingCOF inspections & regular xrays of hitching systems

curlcrown, Dec 16, 5:26am
was legal decades ago but not now.

gabbysnana, Dec 16, 6:14am
Back in the 50's dad towed a caravan and a boat behind a v8 vanguard, up the coromandel to port charles for many years when the roads had grass growing in the middle of them, one way and yes they would back up- amazing skills when you think about it today.

olsod2, Dec 17, 12:04am
give that man{gabby} a tuis, vanguard v8 maybe 2, 4 cyl motors welded together.standard never made a v8.i have seen a bus {motorhome}in the early 60s towing a boat and a trailer long vehicle

skin1235, Dec 17, 12:55am
olsod, used to see many of the old vangards ( 4's and 6's) fitted with the crab dizzy 17 and 19 stud flatheads, pre water pumps days, thermo syphon systems

re the OP, the previos owners of White Heather ( Hawera) used to haul two caravans back from Otorohonga behind his 6/110 Austin, back when Chevron and Liteweights were made up there, (late '60's to mid 70's!) one scary road train to meet on the Messenger

afer_daily, Dec 17, 8:24am
if so many say its illeagle why is the bunce add running on the car channel in the mornings

a18a, Dec 17, 9:26am
if so many say drinking & driving is illeagle why is there drinking & driving adds running on most channels in the evenings

gs1220, Dec 18, 2:12am
There was a mechanic who worked across the road from my parents place and I remember him testing a car/caravan/boat set-up in the street. The car was a new, huge, 60s american tank, and he would roar up the road and then slam on the anchors and clouds of smoke would issue from all 8 (or was it 10) wheels. It must have stopped being legal pretty soon after the very early 60s.

aktow, Dec 18, 12:41pm
not legal,, when i was a tow truck driver i was given permission to tow a van and a caravan off the motorway,, i had to get off at the first off ramp and stop. then a big transporter picked up the two ,

pauldw, Dec 18, 6:16pm

olsod2, Dec 19, 1:30am
thanks for putting me right paul standard did make a v8.but not a vanguard v8.in my younger days i owned a standard flying 14.