Attitudedesignz,Gunhand or any other car painters

gunhand, Jan 24, 9:17am
Mercury silver rings a bell, is it a holden colour ie on the walknishaw VLs! if so there shouldnt be any purple look to it. Yes if they buggered it they should fess up, BUT it nearly always says on mixed colours to check before painting.

edangus, Jan 24, 9:22am
It looks like BMW Alpine Silver (lil bit darker though)

If you ask me it looks good.

Sometimes the car chooses its colour man!

thunderbolt, Jan 24, 9:25am
I though mercury silver was a Falcon colour. Maybe on Ba's!

gunhand, Jan 24, 9:28am
Could be, there willshit loads of them i would say. which may be the problem.

donz01, Jan 24, 9:59am
The first time I saw the colour it was on a BA FPV GT. it looked good being a dark silver with out being gunmetal grey. I found out later that it was originally a holden colour but no models were mentioned. The code on the tin is Mercury Silver Effect Ford Australia---1FVS5--K7108--2/12-
/11. On closer inspection under the delivery docket that was stuck to the lid it says Check colour before use. No responsibility accepted. Maybe the daughter has a new car coming her way. There is a bit of paint down the side of the tin that actually looks like the correct colour and when you look at the paint in the tin it looks like the right colour. I ordered all Resene products, primer ,colour, clear and thinners so I would have no issues . I must have got something wrong somewhere,somehow but i just dont know where. The primer was grey (from factory it may have purple in it but dont know)and I dont think it would bleed through enough to affect the colour this much.

gunhand, Jan 24, 10:09am
hmmmm, bit of a curly one.its not some kind of effect colour is it.Even so what you see in the tin tends to represent the colour fairly well. Are you looking at the tin colour in the sun! that can change things abit. and no primer shouldnt bleed but some colours unde the primer can bleed and may effect your colour. Do you have a pic of the colour you though it was!

donz01, Jan 24, 10:23am
I will get the Rep to bring his colour swatch in with him.

donz01, Jan 25, 11:40pm
The rep was no help at all. Says maybe too many coats. I dont think so. I asked if when the paint was mixed did they put too much purple tinters in it and he just said Its Mercury Silver that I picked from his swatch.I have asked him to bring it in with him next time he is in.I only went around the car 4 times with light coats and in total used 5 litres of thinned paint to do unside the doors and under the bonnet and boot etc. The boot only had 1 light coat and 1 medium coat and its still got the purple tint to it. Suprisingly enough when the sun goes behind clouds or any time it is not in full sun it actually looks the right colour. I got a paint code from an 03 BA Falcoon and the code is M7. One of my mates is going to see what variants there are for it. We have decided to leave it purple for now and get the thing back together so he has wheels again.

jason18, Jan 25, 11:47pm
Its a mint colour!

attitudedesignz, Jan 26, 5:05am
Dupont formula.

Although there is a bit of Magenta (44.6 grams) & Violet Blue (17.4 grams) in there i'm thinking Resene cocked it up somehow as the colour shouldn't have come out THAT purple.

Manufacturer : FORD_AUSTRALIA
Code : M7
Colour name : MERCURY SILVER

WB2030CROMAX PRO BC VISCOSITY BALANCER268.3268.3
WB1035COARSE BRIGHT ALUMINUM377.6645.9
WB1041VERY COARSE ALUMINUM105.3751.1
WB1050BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTER98.2849.3
WB06BLACK HS93.5942.8
WB65MAGENTA LS44.6987.5
WB02WHITE LS23.11010.5
WB21VIOLET BLUE17.41028.0
WB46ORANGE YELLOW1.41029.3
Quantity 1lt

neville48, Jan 26, 7:22am
its such a cool colour and the Shovitt looks cool too, get a paint refund even tho with all that magenta in it ,it was always gonna be that tint.looks real good.

modie61, Jan 26, 7:25am
Yea,it looks real good on the ol Vauxhall,id be happy with that.

male_timaru, Jan 26, 8:06am
The only problem you'll have is trying to match it if it needs touch up etc - so whoever you bought it from needs to make sure they can reproduce the same tint again

fordcrzy, Jan 26, 8:36am
its a viva. it was made in the 70's.

purple is a great 70's colour.don't fight it

trogedon, Jan 26, 8:44am
I can't say I like it. Ask for a simple silver (hold the magenta) and do it again.

donz01, Jan 28, 10:28am
I gave it a cut and polish today and thinking its actually starting to look the right colour.I was just polishing the last panel when one of the daughters mates walked in and said that it is looking really nice now and she likes the purple tint.We are leaving it surple now and it does look rather nice polished. We have a couple of weeks to get all the interior done etc and its ready when he gets his restricted.