Painters, what to do

skin1235, Mar 14, 10:38pm
have a cloudy bonnet, and front 1/4 of the roof, clear over metallic black/blue

clear has not broken, well not that I can see, certainly doesn't appear to be lifting - no peeling ( which is something I'd like to avoid if possible )

any hints on what to do with it

do you need pics

beno, Mar 14, 11:05pm
cloudy or blotchy? if it's gone milky/ opaque then the clear has lifted and there is moisture underneath, but if it's blotchy then its probably an application fault. either way, both will need repainting to fix. the latter may only need to be scotched.and coloured/cleared but the first will need a good sand back.

skin1235, Mar 14, 11:11pm
cloudy, will try some pics soon

skin1235, Mar 15, 12:11am

skin1235, Mar 15, 12:33am
does it just need a good buffing, if so bare knuckles or some heavy duty electric jobbie,?, a cut of some sort
I don't usually give a stuff and this is my work hack, spends more time off road than on, general condition, polish etc only becomes an issue if I head into town with it and Linda is a passenger, plus I would rather keep the clear coat as a complete coat, even I reckon they look shocking when they start peeling great chunks off

is this savable, or already on its way to eventual ruin

grangies, Mar 15, 12:41am
Looks to me as though it's had el cheapo clearcoat applied, and the sun has killed it.

You could try cutting it with a compound and then waxing it twice. And from then on waxing it every week, and it may hold out ok.

It's hard to tell just by photos, so you really need to take it to a panela nd paint shop, and they'll be able to tell you at a glance.

skin1235, Mar 15, 12:46am
it would be the original '97 coat I think, spent most of its life with no garaging I suspect too,so with you on the sun killing it

I've tried polish but it doesn't diminish the cloudy look, those current pics ( today) it does have a light road and dust on it, which I can wipe/wash of, the finish doesn't come up though
the roof is more dull surface than deep cloudy, if that makes sense, still won't show a shine with polish though

skin1235, Mar 15, 12:49am
grangies, you do this or did do this for a crust, whats the likelihood of it breaking right down, and would stripping the clear off and reapplying do the job

and what would that likely cost , roof and bonnet, the rest of it has a good shine even without polish

kazbanz, Mar 15, 12:51am
skin -what have you got to loose trying to cut and polish it?
If it was me I'd select the very worst bit and hand cut a small area of it.
Spend 5 minutes polishing a 150mm square.
Come back after an hour and see what it looks like---if pretty good then a machine buff is the way to go

skin1235, Mar 15, 12:54am
cannot hurt to try I guess, I've tried doing the bonnet prior, will give a part of that another go, pics will follow ( if my arms still work lol)

skin1235, Mar 15, 2:26am
an hour with cut and polish
certainly improves it
can still see cloud deeper in ( no NOT the reflections- but at least it now does have a reflection )

before
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/369962437.jpg after https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/369988409.jpg before
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/369962504.jpg after https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/369988085.jpg

will get a decent buffer, thats done with a hunk of an old soft towel wrapped and tied to an old rubber sanding pad in an electric drill

has made some improvement though - and it was done in full sun

skin1235, Mar 15, 2:31am
previously used an old tin of No1 cut
todays effort with a new tin of extra cut canuba polish
prick to get the cut off tidily, hence the drill

97 ssangyong, would get a shock it may not recover from if it was parked in a shed overnight or ever

skin1235, Apr 30, 12:02am
I will get a bottle, soon
first step is to get a decent buffer and kit, and go a bit deeper into it I reckon
it has certainly improved it and I think it can stand a bit more improvement yet

the roof will be a mission, trying to keep all cut action to length of car direction on a roof that wide will mean a lot of solid full extension arm work, can see the painters trestles and the planks coming out just to allow me to get to the middle of the car