I've run out of car wash, can i use anything else?

Page 2 / 2
matthew111, Mar 19, 4:32am
I have nsot used car wash for 40+ years. Water and a bit of effort. It is free.

johnf_456, Mar 19, 5:10am
Good luck getting tar and tree gum off with pure water

phillip.weston, Mar 19, 5:16am
Yes, even modern clear coats get scratched, oxidised and worn down. Regular polishing to restore shine and waxing to protect the clear coat is a sure fire way to keep the paintwork looking great. Having a clear coat paint job doesn't necessarily mean it's any more resilient to the elements, it just means it's one more protective layer before it gets down to the paint.

The original non-clear coat paint job on my 1982 Galant GT would probably out-shine any ill treated clear coat paint job, and that includes washing it with dishwashing detergent, which obviously is only designed to wash dishes and not cars.

johnf_456, Mar 19, 5:19am
Why aren't you allowed to take pride in something you own and have it clean so you can even see out the window! and keeping the paint work in top condition.

roys351, Mar 19, 8:34am
how much kero to keep spiders away!

mantagsi, Mar 19, 8:38am
I remember an old boy I used to work with was VERY fond of washing his van by rubbing it down with Chemico (that abrasive pink paste) and flicking a bit of water over it. Over the course of a few months I watched the nice shiny white paint on this hi-ace turn into scabby undercoat, then down to metal in a few places. Old boy couldn't understand why his van was covered in fine rust! Poor bugger - we all tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen!

corgi731, Mar 19, 7:27pm
I live rural thats why i asked, its not a quick trip to the shop.

gammelvind, Mar 19, 7:37pm
Pantene!

mrfxit, Mar 19, 7:44pm
Ohh ohhh ohhh QUESTION!

Whats the best & fastest way to clean a windscreen of that built up road film crud!
you know. that stuff the proper washer additives/degreaserscan't move
That Same crud that makes the wipers SCREEEEECH

joanie32, Mar 19, 8:42pm
vodka.No shit, find a home brewer and get the 50ml thatt they throw away fromthe start of eachbrew.

mrfxit, Mar 19, 8:45pm
30 second fix = dishwashing liquid + plastic scotchbrite pad + small amount of water/ rinse well afterwards.

TRUE .

pandai, Aug 5, 4:01pm
The only time I ever wash the car with dish detergent, is before I am going to clay/polish/wax it.It strips any protection that might be on the paint.