Electric fan's

Page 1 / 2
devillemad, Mar 17, 6:57am
Looking putting a couple on my vn ss commodore im rebuilding, what's the Best application! was looking at a 16" on inside and 14" on outside.

xacoon, Mar 17, 7:03am
outside isnt real efficient, better off maximising fan size (or sizes if doubles) fit better on the inside to get maximum coverage

demons, Mar 17, 8:55am
if it was like my vp ss ,i removed the viscos van and put gilmers on wanted a clean look with no fan,put a v6 elec fan between the grill ,turned the fan around so it blew thru radiator. popped couple sets tyres in it aftrer that and temp held good, i allso recoed radiator and had two extra temp sender unit pocket put iin and relayed it so it would turn off and on by itself.trick az

sr2, Mar 17, 8:59am
+1. Allways more efficient cooling when fitted to the rear of the radiator.

devillemad, Mar 17, 7:34pm
Sweet that helps, think ill put a 16" on inside to pull through! Have a nice alloy radiator so kind of want to see it, and gilmer drive so not alot of room really.

intrade, Mar 17, 8:05pm
make sure it blowssucks in the right direction. air from front of car to back of car. as when you drive the air travels thru the radiator . not to have the fan blow against the air-flow. just a hint in caseyou did not already know.

smac, Mar 17, 8:23pm
Curious on this.any ideas on teh science behind this idea!

Also, if it's going the wrong way it may not just be a case of reversing it. The blades should be shaped (aerofoil)to give better flow it one direction, so may be a case of flipping the fan.

mrfxit, Mar 17, 8:34pm
Easy.

Fan on back =
No frontal obstruction from the fan & framing
Air hits radiator 1st & fan assists air flow by helping to pull air through the radiator

Fan in front =
A large amount of the air flow would be spent driving past the blades & framing before getting through the radiator
Open road speeds create far higher air flows then any automotive radiatorfans could create making the fan spin super fast while still obstructing air flow.

johnf_456, Mar 17, 8:35pm
Chocolate fish for you.

mrfxit, Mar 17, 8:36pm
2 choccy fish thank you.
(slight edit done)

johnf_456, Mar 17, 8:38pm
Greedy I only have one.

mrfxit, Mar 17, 8:38pm
TOUGH

smac, Mar 17, 9:11pm
johnf one day, just ONE day you'll do a post of your own rather than just dissing/supporting somebody elses.

mrfxit - guess I'm thinking more about my own work in the mini, where most conventional air flow thoughts go out the window!
However not sure I agree with the bit about what happens at high speed. When high speed air is hitting a front facing radiator, I have seen modelling done (coloured smoke etc) where rather than being driven through the radator, the air actually bounces off and creates a dead air spot in front. SO rather than the fan in front being an obstruction, I think the benefit of having it behind is that it creates a low pressure zone behind the radiator which draws air through from that dead air zone. Net result is the same.behind is better (in front facing rad).

johnf_456, Mar 17, 9:14pm
If you look outside the square I do help and very often do that comment is uncalled for. Perhaps search my username or is that to hard.

http://www.gerryriskin.com/uploads/image/head-in-sand.JPG

So I don't appreciate the attitude.

johnf_456, Mar 17, 9:15pm
Pretty logical to have it behind for many reason why do you think its the factory location on most cars. But apparently I do not help cause of some people laziness to look outside the square.

xacoon, Mar 17, 10:22pm
well yes it will work but efficiency isnt nearly as good. on a side note I have been running my pickup without a fan for the last 18 months and had no problems, fans aren't needed if there is plentiful airflow through a healthy cooling system

johnf_456, Mar 17, 10:24pm
Unless your sitting in traffic for long periods of time.

xacoon, Mar 17, 10:29pm
put your hand in front of a radiator with the engine at revs and see how much air gets pulled through, its not really a great deal, during highway driving a fan isnt generally needed, so the obstruction of airflow theory has merit, also the low pressure theory has merit, although the fan will usually only be working when motionless or moving slowly. I think if you mix those two theories then think that it is easier to suck air through than blow it through a radiator.

xacoon, Mar 17, 10:30pm
where there is not "plentiful airflow through a healthy cooling system" yes you are absolutely right

mrfxit, Mar 17, 11:21pm
Yep the amount of dead space would depend on a lot of factors including density of the core & size/design of fan & surrounding radiator design plus of course the vehicles frontal design.
Either way, not a desired effect.
An added help on high performance vehicles, are the front grills leading from the back of the inner guard to outside (shark gills)
Not an economic consideration for most domestic vehicles.
Bonnet vents are an alternative holistic solution to total air flow considerations.

devillemad, Mar 18, 12:26am
Well i just brought a 16" fan from STA Parts for $70, with a cfm rating of 2500. Mounted on inside should be efficient enough.

elect70, Mar 18, 2:21am
true i only ran a manual ly switched fan on my old BMW635only needed it at lights & below 50 kph , madeslight difference in fuel consumption too . NO fans on F1 cars

mrfxit, Mar 18, 2:44am
How many F1 car's drive slower then their (I suspect) stalling speed of about 40kph for any reasonable distance (never mind in under 100kph traffic)

johnf_456, Mar 18, 2:46am
You can't compare f1 cars and road cars due to the totally different sort of environment.they used in.

xacoon, Mar 18, 2:47am
No fan onmy pickup either, It aint no formula 1 car.