Suzuki rg400

Page 1 / 2
rakaia40, Feb 14, 6:40pm
after 81000k's an one set of rings not bad for a two stroke the splines on my disk valves are worn an also the crankshafts has anyone else struck this prob. i think have to put 500 disk valves in as wider on the spline wots left haha. i dont really want to take the cranks out

desmodave, Feb 14, 7:32pm
How do you know it was the original rings.

rakaia40, Feb 15, 4:39am
it only had 17thou on it when i got it 18 year ago m8

geoff_m, Feb 15, 7:46am
Pretty damn good for one of them. IIRC RG400 disk valves hub are different from the 500 one. Are you on the RG500 mailing list! Lots of good info there.
You can get your cranks rebuilt and spliines rebuilt if parts aren't availble, not cheap though.
At that milage, I would take the cranks out and do it properly. My 500 put a rod through the cases - enough to maky you cry.

rakaia40, Feb 15, 8:55am
yeah no about 500's have one 2 an 2 other 400's one crashed an one not 2 bad; i have a workshop manual an had measure up of pistons barrels an rings an all good dat was at 79thou coz da front right base gasket sprung a leak. an no not on the RG500 list

noswalg, Feb 15, 9:14pm
My mate just put a set of these on his 4oo http://www.lancegamma.com/ He reckons its made an unbelievable amount of difference to midrange through to top end power. He's been riding around with this dumb grin on his face since getting the bike back on the road fully rebuilt engine after 12 years in the shed!

rakaia40, Feb 16, 4:51am
two strokers are so much fun an ya get 2 talk 2 people often when riden coz ya gota fuel up haha

rakaia40, Feb 17, 4:36am
geoff m. how many k's had ya 500 dun we it threw a leg an how much damage an how did ya fix it. my 500 when i bought it had a broken crank at the big end journal

geoff_m, Feb 17, 7:46am
Not sure on the real milage - teh spedo isn't original (mph speedo on a Ozzie mdel bike). I never had it going long enough to put many miles on it.
I think the previous owner was less than perfectly honest about it's condition and previous work as well.
Basically the cases are stuffed, having been effectively bashed in half - it let go at the top. FR barrel needs sleeving as the crank knocked off the bottom of th ebarrel, crank buggered and other bits. I bought a 400 motor off TM and put that in, along with the good gears from the 500. So far so good.
I recommend http://www.rg500.com/ for RG goodies. Great to deal with.
They do sleeves to turn 400s into 500s as well.

rakaia40, Feb 17, 8:39am
i have found the main things with rg's is use good oil in both the engine an gearbox coz the centre crankshaft bearings are in the box oil an the back two cylinders seem to run hotter an will pick up partially seize that is what i have learnt from my 500 which was stuffed. an now after 81000k's my 400 perhaps when i re ringed it at 45000 ii should have done the disk valves. wot did you buy rg goodies! plz m8

geoff_m, Feb 19, 8:05am
I Got one of their radiators, and some braided lines. I have been eyeing up the sleeves to fix up the 500 cylinders, but apparently Nick Smith needs my money more than I do.

rakaia40, Feb 20, 7:45pm
why did you buy a radiator. an i bet the braided lines made a difference

noodleman4, Feb 21, 4:39am
Hey ringa ding did ya go to leeston rally! he he

kaspas, Feb 21, 5:11am
not trying to hijack thread but i love 2 smokers too. got a kr 250 in the shed im restoring any1 else have/had 1 of these!

rakaia40, Feb 21, 8:44am
ha kaspas m8 only toilets have valves haha kawka kr250 real rare an collectable going by the classic motorcycle mechanic a english mag an heaps o stroker info. i do a few south island rallys an if lucky a couple o strokers we a rare breed so keep it close m8

geoff_m, Feb 21, 10:47am
Got the radiator as the original was stuffed,and I couldn't find a good 2nd hand one. It is a nice piece of kit, but alot of money for an impulse purchase.
Braided lines made a huge difference - and being gen Goodridge with all the crimped fittings it hasn't had any WoF problems. Not that it has ever been going long enough to get to the WoF station.
K|Rakaia - a KR250 takes me back. When I was a lad, back when men were men, and sheep were scared.
That was the model with the cylinders in line with the frame, not across the frame like the KR1, right! A rare bird indeed.

rakaia40, Feb 25, 12:55am
any other two stokers out there in these pc times!

geoff_m, Feb 25, 8:48am
Got a RD350LC on the road, another LC in a crate (ex race bike), a Chinese scooter that does more miles than the rest of them, and some French 1960s Velosolex mopeds

rakaia40, Feb 25, 9:28am
woohhoo a rd350lc nice the poms luv dem 2 seen a few but nev heard one goin be better 2 work on than a rz500 wot a terrible thing

ola_bitchola1, Feb 25, 9:57pm
i have a modern ish one a 98 rg150 genuine 19000ks on the clock currently going through a top end rebuild after it seized waiting for my barrel to come back after getting its first overbore

rakaia40, Feb 26, 12:45am
why did it seize dosn't sound good i hope ya crankshaft is alrite if it was a oil related seize that also affects ya crank

ola_bitchola1, Feb 26, 1:04am
yea we checked it all out i think it may have run out of oil piston seized on the exhaust port

rakaia40, Feb 26, 9:03am
oh no a 2stroke engine is just like a pump no oil it affects everything barrel piston rings crankshaft bearings, bigs ,littles,mains an if ya tink ya crank all good with the increase in compression it has lost its reliabilaty!

ola_bitchola1, Feb 26, 9:47am
it was a mint engine before ran as good as it did from the factory had same compression as the factory specifiedits the one of the lowest ks rg150s in nz i only know of 3 that have done the same or less ks than mine has it was due for a piston soon just not under these circumstances

rakaia40, Mar 3, 8:04pm
have been workin on another rg400 i have an cant beleve how our fuel goes like varnish in the carbs if left for a long time i couldn'd even get a pin through the jets