What tools to buy for DIY work on a motorbike?

jock_in_nz, Jun 27, 7:07am
Apart from the basic little set that came with my bike, I have no tools to work on it.I'm wanting buy some so I can do the basic stuff like chain adjustment, oil filter, brake pads, etc.So what should I buy and where should I buy it from! Thanks.

ninja_man, Jun 27, 7:16am
if you have got a bit of money, you should buy something like this: Listing #: 387276711 probably all the tools you will need

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 7:18am
Ummm.those are not tools, they are toys made in China.

berg, Jun 27, 7:18am
Chain adjustment depends on the bike but I always like to torque the rear axle afterwards with a good torque wrench. Other than that and if it's a Jappa, good set of screwdrivers, metric allen keys, 1/4 drive deep socket set with a good long extension, spanners, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, 22mm and maybe if needed a 24. A good half inch drive, long handle ratchet with 17, 19, 22 and 24 sockets. A multi meter and pliers are also handy.

berg, Jun 27, 7:21am
For general "private" bike work, I would suggest maybe Repco branded tools (Sidchrome copy) or even Genuis. You shouldn't need the top of the line stuff but buy the best you can afford.

jock_in_nz, Jun 27, 7:28am
Yeah was thinking a torque wrench is a must. Just trying to decide if I should buy a made up set or individual tools and build a set. For a socket set, does 1/2" or 1/4" make much of a difference!

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 7:29am
Get all three 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive.

berg, Jun 27, 7:35am
For bikes I find I use the 1/2 for the big stuff, axles, sprockets etc then use the 1/4 for most other things as they are usually 8mm or 10mm.

jock_in_nz, Jun 27, 7:44am
Thanks guys. Is it worth buy off here or from SCA, Repco, Mitre 10!

m16d, Jun 27, 7:45am
Well for a start get a good set of allen keys.
Go to a tool shop, not the $2 shop.

berg, Jun 27, 7:51am
Stay away from the Supercheap, Mitre 10 type stuff. Try Repco, BNT or a good engineering shop. Also see if you have a Sulco tool dealer in town. They sell several brands usually to the "trade".

ceebee2, Jun 27, 9:35am
Basic ring / open enders you will need are
6,8,10,12,14,17,19mm

Sockets as above, My advice is do not buy cheap crap or you will ruin the nuts n bolts.

A very essential tool is an impact driver.

Cheers CeeBee

bubbles52, Jun 27, 10:06am
Agree, these are great kits, high quality too, i have one that i use to take to wrecking yards to get parts off

jock_in_nz, Jun 27, 10:10am
Thanks guys for the advice. It'll be tool shopping time coming up this weekend then.

fryan1962, Jun 27, 10:43am
if your bike doesn't have centre stand.you will need a lifting frame.not sure of the name of it, but so useful for adjusting chain

klrider, Jun 27, 7:58pm
first thing you need is a manual

321mat, Jun 28, 2:15am
Sidchrome, and Wurth make the best.

Stanley are not too bad.

But, anything that's not drop forged vanadium is just a waste of time and money.

jock_in_nz, Jun 28, 8:30am
I'll take you up on that offer kazbanz. How do I get a hold of you!

r15, Jun 28, 12:58pm
T bars.

the ultimate bike tool

desmodave, Jun 28, 8:59pm
miller cars rings a bell.Just buy a reliable italian bike and ya wont need bugger all tools

zoltec45, Jun 28, 9:38pm
I wouldnt be without my powerbuilt 1/2" socket set and ring spanner set. Only broken one ratchet piece in 3 years and they have a lifetime warranty on tools so just took it in and swapped it there and then.
Try The Toolshed for good branded tools

desmodave, Jun 28, 11:09pm
Well mine have all got me home under thier own power for the last 25 years so i would call that reliable.

marte, Aug 10, 3:19am
Impact driver to loosen screws if they are a bit tight.
You end up rounding them off if they are tight & you use only a screwdriver.

You don't have to bash it, just let it seat in the screwhead & tap it.

Or the #8 wire impact driver.
(you seat the screwdriver, turn it anticlockwaise a bit so it rises out of the screwhead, then bash the screwdriver with a hammer.)

OK OK! I know its called a "Screw turner"