HONDA ODYSSEY what are they like

pete172, Jun 27, 1:32pm
Need to buy a people mover,looking at Honda odyssey. would like to know what they are like as far as reliability etc goes. Any help greatly appriciated.Cheers

pete172, Jun 27, 10:02pm
Thank you all for your help. Looking at a1994, 2200 low ks, seems to be well looked after, cvs are clicky so need replacing.

antwerp87, Jun 28, 5:11am
odyssey only comes in auto. The 2.2 were a great motor really quite indestructible the engine and trans were the same as the accord. Be careful. Some of the japanese import ones were all wheel drive. They went thru gas like anything. The 2wd ones were actually pretty good. Check for rear main leaks and servicing schedules on the trans. If the trans has been serviced regularly you should be fine. Cv joints are pretty common in them when the Cv boot splits. If you do it yourself and take the old joint in when you replace it you usually get a discount on the new one.

bleetbleet, Jun 28, 5:29am
we have a 2.2 and this is our 3rd ppl mover(previous 2 were toyotas) and i love the honda(never thought i'd say that.lol)huge boot,all 7 seats are comfy,good economy and best of all it drives more like a car than a commercial vehicle

mugenb20b, Jun 28, 6:24am
That's what I was going to say.

mrfxit, Jun 28, 6:27am
Everytime we come acrossa slow van, it's either an odyssey or an emina.
Getting to be a classic joke these days.

It's the driver more so then the van

mugenb20b, Jun 28, 6:29am
We have a '95 model, brilliant all round car, but avoid if it's a 4wd model. CVs aren't too expensive to replace ($150 a side roughly). Make sure there's no sludge under the oil filler cap and no rusty water in the radiator. Cambelts need replacing every 100 000km, but they are easy to replace.

mugenb20b, Jun 28, 6:35am
What for! The transmissions are basic and simple to service. There's no servicable filter, just a big fat magnet on the drain plug. You can use either Dexron III or TQ95 trans fluid.

pete172, Jun 28, 8:49am
Hey thanks all for your input.Cheers

richardmayes, Jun 28, 9:06am
Unless you get a 7-seater one they are just a station wagon with a column shift automatic and a bit more headroom.

The warnings about V6 transmissions are worth listening to. But if you find a low-km V6 that has had its gearbox services regularly, and you keep that up, you will be fine. My old man has a low-kms V6 Accord of that era (related engine and trans) and he always drives it as "enthusiastically" as the law allows, to this day the gearbox is quiet and beautiful and never misses a beat. V6 Hondas have silent power, and are just lovely to ride in if you like that sort of motoring.