Phillip.weston. Hello there you seem to be the right guy to ask for mitsubishi info i have just received word that our van a 199

ashwattau, Jun 2, 10:17pm
Hello there. You seem to be the right guy to ask for Mitsubishi info. I have just received word that our van (a 1991 L300 SWB) has cracked its head. The engine is the 2.0L SOHC petrol. My question: Is head replacement on these easy with the engine in situ, or is it beneficial to remove the engine first! Would you recommend this job to be a good DIY proposition for someone who has had minimal previous experience with Mitsubishis or not! In other words - should I fix it or should I hiff it! Thanks.

mugenb20b, Jun 3, 12:05am
Do it in place, easy job, replace both cambelts.

phillip.weston, Jun 3, 12:10am
yep in place is easy enough. If the replacement head has been shaved, I would be wary of putting it back on to a tired bottom end - I would at least replace the big end bearings.

ashwattau, Jun 3, 6:32am
Great to hear, cheers.

ashwattau, Jun 26, 10:04pm
Ended up just buying a new van. Another L300 but 14 years newer (2005 model) and this time a 2.4 injected petrol.

New question - are these motors interference or non-interference! I've read lots of conflicting answers when searching the web forums, so I hope you can clear thatright up. I know we had a belt snap on the old van and it ran fine after fitting a new one, but I don't know anything about the new van!

mugenb20b, Jun 27, 12:14am
Those "new" 2.4 litre engines are.oh, wait, I'm not phillip.weston and because of it I know nothing about Mitsis.

phillip.weston, Jun 27, 12:16am
Sounds like your old van was an 8V engine while the new van is a 16V engine, while being SOHC still. The 16V engine is definitely interference while the 8V engine is not.

ashwattau, Jul 31, 6:44am
Yes this must be 16v SOHC as you say because the ignition distributor is smack bang in the middle of the head and not to one side. It goes well.