89 honda xr250r

dagon1, Jun 24, 8:59am
hey all :)
just got my 1st bike and needs a few things done to it 1st is the front wheel bearings.now can i do something like that myself or do i need to take it in to a bike shop for them to do with a " press" of some kind i have herd.

jsbike, Jun 24, 9:04am
can usually bash the old ones out with a screw driver and then hit the new ones in with a soft mallet

dagon1, Jun 24, 9:07am
ok mint :) yup i got the old ones out in the end lol .im thinking when hitting them in should i put a socket or something like that . that fits the center of the bearing so it goes in evenly.cheers

rakaia40, Jun 24, 9:24am
outside of bearing just slightly smaller than ya houseing but not on the seal the centre of the bearing not good vibs. hope i helped

jsbike, Jun 24, 10:01pm
you want a socket or something on the outside of the bearing, not the centre

dagon1, Jun 24, 10:18pm
o ok sweet thanks for that info guys :).will get onto that soon.next will be front brake set up .and think i need a new kick start as its hitting the frame when kicking it over any ideas why its hitting it!

jsbike, Jun 25, 12:30am
hitting it when the kick us ip, or when you kick it over!

dagon1, Jun 25, 12:52am
as its going down to kick over there is a part of the frame and it is hitting it .

doublek, Jun 25, 1:01am
Just sounds like the kickstart has been bent in from a drop or impact. Bit of heat onit and bend it back out. Or if the thing is not tightened at the bottom, the play could be causing it to impact.

dagon1, Jun 25, 1:39am
yeah i jst had another look at it and yeah i can see at the bottom of the kick start there is a bolt .now is it a matter of un doing that nut and pulling the lever out a bit ! but im thinking i cant take it to far off the shaft its on ! as then im putting alot of pressure on whats actually left on the shaft.

@scotty.yeah i have always herd xr are a great fun bike to ride and learn on and very robust bike and im lucky to have got this 1 :) .i herd work is easy todo on them but im not finding a lot about them is that because its a 1989 and dont make parts etc for them now! it needs a lot of work to it mainly visual work but will need to do complete front brake .pads.rubber things on it etc all badly perished.all levers need to be replaced couple are broken and clutch is very very hard to pull in probly because its only got half a lever now lol.front wheel bearings .the back also as on stand i wiggle wheel and there is play in it :(.again dont know much but am willing to read up and learn about this bike and if i can do most of the work myself on it .dont know about the motor though lol.

dagon1, Jun 25, 1:40am
@scotty and yeah i was meant to say yeah my leg the next day trying to start it as it not been start for months what a pain lol.my leg was stuffed lol .

doublek, Jun 25, 2:37am
Don't pull the lever out along the spline. It will increase the chance of it slipping and once the teeth on the spline are worn, it's r00ted (or you have to weld it on). If you take it off and get it to someone to put some heat across the length of it and then do a gentle bend out, that should do the trick. Don't try smacking it as they are cast from memory and you'll crack it. Also watch out when putting it back on and tightening. over tightening can cause a crack in the collar on the kick start. Re: the broken levers - if you are going to replace them, invest in some bush bars. They look a bit naff, but can save your hands if you're doing any forest work and protect the levers in an off. Great bikes - wish I had never sold mine.

dagon1, Jun 25, 3:44am
@doublek cheers for that info .should take some pics of it so you all can see it .can you upload pics onto this ! i never done it before.and i noticed the gear lever looks like its welded on don't to me thats not right but yeah if i take pics of the troublesome spots it would give you a better understanding cheers again every1 for all the great help so far :)

muzz67, Jul 25, 12:08pm
just save pics to your desktop, (try not to make them too big), go to 'My trade Me' then 'My Pics', then 'Upload Photo'.