Scooter - 2 or 4 stroke?

blairhs, Jun 21, 9:17am
Looking at getting a scooter for the daily commute, have seen from searching here that Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki are the makes to be looking for.Not sure if SYM are ok too!Anyway, should I be looking at a 2- or 4-stroke!Advantages/disadvantages of each would be helpful!Thanks

unclejake, Jun 21, 9:20am
You will smell better with a four stroke and walk less with a Japanese brand

countrypete, Jun 21, 9:23am
The more modern design scooters are mostly four stroke - that's the way things are moving mostly because of economy and emissions.A four stroke will certainly be more economical, but the performance of a two-stroke is often better.A two stroke will also generally be cheaper to service.Best bet is to stick with a mainstream Japanese brand.

johnf_456, Jun 21, 9:24am
smell better lol, while driving through peak hour traffic. But yes defiantly something japanese over the chinese crap we have on the market. 2 strokes are much cheaper maintenance wise and do tend to be more snappier on performance. If you are concerned about emissions walk or ride a bike.

blairhs, Jun 21, 9:25am
Thanks for that.So stick with Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki and it doesn't really matter if it is 2 or 4 stroke then - as I wouldn't have thought fuel economy was a biggie in a scooter!

flybye_in_a_rx7, Jun 21, 9:26am
2 stroke if you wanna be one with the traffic.
4 stroke if you wanna be the one that gets in the way of the flowing traffic.
na ive personally never rode a 4 stroke but always see them putting along struggling at 50kph. i had a 2 stroke and it was good, would beat cars off the line (unless they really floored it) and sat on 65kph easy.good fun

countrypete, Jun 21, 9:30am
Also depends if you are talking 50cc or 125cc.If you are looking at a moped (<50cc, top speed 50km/h) it doesn't matter whether it's two or four stroke.Better to look at 125cc, but you will need a motorcycle licence as opposed to a car licence.A four stroke 125 such as an AN125 will cruise happily at 70 - 75 km/h and can top out at 100 with a bit of a tail wind.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Jun 21, 9:30am
yea and stick with ya good brands as above. dont get one thats been played around with though. i bought a 'tuned up' one. cost me a $400 repair, put the factory parts back on and it went better than it did with the 'tuned up' parts on it

yudasgoat2000, Jun 21, 9:56am
I supspect so, though if the seller is telling the whole truth (which I doubt) you'll need a motorbike license for it (only allowed to ride automatic 50cc scooters on a car license).

next-to-normal, Jun 21, 10:47am
pgo is a great2 stroke scooter made in taiwan based on the yamaha jog motor

thejazzpianoma, Jun 21, 10:55am
Having owned Japanese scooters in past I still prefer the Italian Piaggio scooters hands down but would still have Japanese over Chinese. Its Piaggio that make the genuine Vespa and they really know what they are doing.

I would suggest buying a secondhand Piaggio Liberty for around 2K.
They have the big wheels which make for safe evasive action off the tarmac if required and have just a nice amount of power to keep you riding safely with the traffic.

Reliability, parts etc are all excellent. It will last well and likely not really depreciate at all. This really is a case where you can't beat the real thing.

The best Liberty is the 150 and well worth paying the extra reg and getting your bike license for. However there is a 50 if you have to ride on a car license.

ceebee2, Jun 23, 4:42am
I got my licence on a Honda 50 step through 4 stroke way back in the dim ages and it consistently returned 120mpg or 2.2litres / 100km.

Minimal maintenance over the 2 stroke.

Cheers CeeBee (Auto Tech 30 years)

guest, Sep 25, 10:35pm
My spouse and i ended up being atullsbeoy comfortable that Ervin managed to round up his basic research while using the ideas he received using your blog. It's not at all simplistic to simply choose to be making a gift of ideas that many some others may have been selling. We really understand we have got the website owner to give thanks to for that. The most important explanations you have made, the easy site navigation, the friendships your site make it easier to create it's got all exceptional, and it's making our son in addition to our family feel that the content is cool, which is certainly incredibly fundamental. Thank you for everything!

guest, Sep 28, 9:58am
Hmm Well I was just searching on yahoo and just came acsors your site, in general I just only visit sites and retrieve my required info but this time the useful information that you posted in this post urged me to post here and appreciate your diligent work. I just bookmarked your site. Thank you again.

guest, Sep 28, 3:41pm
I loved as many as you endow welcome caeirrd out franchise here. The description is elegant, your authored substantial sleek. however, you influence procure got an edginess too that you demand be turning in the sequential. ill indubitably occur another in the former quondam plus as quite the like almost precise continuously within case you contest this raise.