My 1997 Honda Accord on U Tube

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 10:28am
Lots of music on all my car channels here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/97accordvtec#p/u/3/xqD0wlX9sjo

michael.benn, Jun 15, 10:35am
We're Accord buddies :)

<3

Also, 200,000! Mines done 289,800 :D

tuttyclan, Jun 15, 10:46am
Yep they're nice cars is yours a 97 as well.
Mines up to 207350 km now .

antwerp87, Jun 15, 1:06pm
I Had a 1996 VTi Honda Accord manual. I sold it in nearly perfect condition at 389,000km. Its now done 450k and still going strong. Not one oil leak and burns no oil between servicing.

michael.benn, Jun 16, 4:14am
My car is same model and year as antwerps tutty, it's a 1996 Honda Accord VTi, but it's automatic. :)

tuttyclan, Jun 16, 5:19am
Yes mine is auto as well.This is my first automatic car.Sometimes I do wish it was manual sometimes to make full use of the performance side of the vtec.Most of my driving is around town anyway and its nice not to have to change the gears all of the time.

tuttyclan, Jun 16, 5:26am
The auto in mine has always been choppy/clunky though.I did a transmission flush when I got it at 136,000 km and had it flushed again at 195,000 km.
Its worse when its cold as it changes to first gear upon accelerating when turning into a side road then goes into second.Its a bit annoying when really a car with a 2.2 engine is more than capable of dropping down to second not first when the car is still moving.Does your one give any trouble at its higer milage.

tuttyclan, Jun 16, 5:35am
I can however with a bit of patience avoid or reduce the chances of that happening by accelerating very lightly and allowing the transmission to detect the need to change into second, once its in second its ok to accelerate a bit harder to get up to spped,where as if its loaded up to much too soonits goes into first.Its really like driving with an egg under the accelerator.

tuttyclan, Jun 16, 5:38am
I have driven lots of autos including our current 94 Rav 4 and its the only one that I have come across that behaves like this.

michael.benn, Jun 16, 6:48am
YES, YES YES YES. OMG.

It does this thing where, at a certain speed, like just over 50, at about 2100rpm, it'll act like it's changing up, and then it does it, but then it seems to drop down a gear again. It's got a mind of it's bloody own!

I feel like I have to control the gear changes with the accelerator/tachometer lol!

michael.benn, Jun 16, 6:49am
And yes, it's the first auto I've ever driven that behaves like this, and yes, a bit like having an egg under the accelerator. LOL

michael.benn, Jun 16, 6:50am
Bare in mind I've only had it since the end of March though. :)

tuttyclan, Jun 16, 7:01am
Once mines gets into top gear at 50 k it will stay there.When I get to a big roundabout and when the way is clear I can sail straight through trouble is I might be doing about 40-45 k and its labouring a bit.It should at this time change to third.I find it better just to change it to D3.

michael.benn, Jun 16, 7:34am
Yeah I've gotten into the habit (probably bad) of using D3 a bit when it won't change like it should haha

tuttyclan, Jun 16, 7:46am
I think its just a inbuilt problem with some Honda transmissions as soon after I bought the car 8 years ago at 136,000 km it started doing that.Thankfully so far (touch wood) it just keeps going.I have had the transmission flushed twice now.Yours may have always had that problem so its likely my one and yours will go for a lot longer yet.

michael.benn, Jun 16, 9:24am
Are you in Auckland! Where's the best place to get my trans serviced!

tuttyclan, Jun 16, 9:37am
Yes in Manurewa,my mechanic does it.

michael.benn, Jun 16, 10:47am
what mechanic ! Name of place! :D

tuttyclan, Jun 16, 11:09am
I go to Station Road Automotive in Manukau.Think it cost about $160 about 2 years ago.

michael.benn, Jun 21, 4:44pm
Excellent, thanks very much tutty :)