AU Falcon drinks like a fish

chris_051, Jun 15, 6:38am
MY AU XR6 manual usually gets 700km/tank driven lightly with a mix of city/highway. Now shes down to 500km/tank and running very rich and a rough idle fluctuating from 200-1000rpm when pushing in the clutch while coming to rest. Only started doing this after I disconnected the battery. MAP sensor looks new, changed the O2 sensor for a good one. Does anyone know the resistance values of both sensors and/or any other suggestions! Cheers
BTW my old AU had the ICV and inlect manifold gasket pack up and it didn't effect fuel consumption.

farmerjthe1st, Jun 15, 6:45am
hmm, i have had same car same sort of problem after taking out battery, aparantly in my case it was low voltage from the battery (left keys on all night) battery charge, service (throttle body cleaned and usual sh1t) problem solved. Could be news battery needed!

chris_051, Jun 15, 6:57am
ok makes sense now the positive terminal couldn;t be clamped completely tight when I removed it, might jam a nail down the side of it tomorrow and give it a go, cheers.

iman007, Jun 15, 7:07am
i had same problem with a falcon, and wouldnt idle properly, took to my mechanic and they replaced somethin and reset car puta! something like that, cost me 2 hundy from memory!
Wasnt the same after disconnecting the battery!

electro2000, Jun 15, 7:10am

chris_051, Jun 15, 7:39am
blah blah stick to your jappas, considering its done 635,000km on original engine and manual box I'll forgive it this time, it's only costing me an extra $10/day but I would like my average fuel consumption back under 10l/100km,

franc123, Jun 15, 7:57am
What have Subaru's got to do with this!

bae13, Jun 15, 9:19am
chris_051, are you saying the terminal is loose, this can be your issue, when the ecu looses memory your fuel trims are out of whack and it can increase your fuel consumption, either that or take it to an auto sarky and get them to see if the o2 sensor is reading correct, it may be stuck in the lean position (malfunction) and the ecu thinks its true and richens it up.

nave12, Jun 15, 6:18pm
You could also join up to this site where you will find awesome info about the au model.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php!f=241

sifty, Jun 15, 8:16pm
haha, yep I have both, and the (non-turbo) subie uses more fuel than the falcon.

intrade, Jun 15, 9:37pm
normally petrol cars start chewing thru fuel when the temperature sender for coldstart is faulty or the lambda sonde o2 oxi sensore has given up reporting correctly.

jason18, Jun 15, 9:51pm
Can you get that kinda stuff checked by a sparky on a diagnose machine or is it trial and error.

esprit, Jun 15, 10:01pm
Perhaps try replacing the throttle position sensor! It's probably thinking you're giving it more throttle than you are, hence the hunting at idle.

wrong2, Jun 16, 5:14am
good heavens

i know the turbo subies are just as bad as V8s when they do anything other than nana drive

bae13, Jun 19, 9:52pm
no the throttle sensor wont have to much of a bearing on it,it is used to see idle position,wide open throttle, and shows ecu how fast you have opened the throttle for the throttle pump, the main load sensor will be airflowmeter/map sensor which ever is fitted, in this case a map sensor, but the o2 sensors will show what the output of the engine isfuel/air wise, a higher o2 sensor reading shows rich and lower is leaner, if you find what its doing here you will find your issue faster