87 hiace van rear wheel bearings

almosttherenow, Jun 12, 5:36am
Hi guys, Does anyone know off the top of there head if the rear axle will just pull out after undoing the 4x14mm flange bolts or will I be needing an axle puller! Tia.

franc123, Jun 12, 5:44am
you most likely will need one if its never been pulled out before or hasn't been out for a long time, the outer bearing race is probably nicely rusted into the end of the axle tube.Have you tried putting the brake drum on backwards, screwing the nuts back on a couple of turns and tugging on it like a slide hammer!

almosttherenow, Jun 12, 5:57am
Cheers for that no I have not tryed pulling it apart yet its on the job to do tomorrow list, I was just wondering if I needed to be going to the shed to get the axle puller 1st along the way. Looks like Id better then it will just fall off.

andrewph, Jun 12, 6:17am
start by securing on axle stands, clamp off the flexible brake line and remove the brake line from the wheel cyl . dismantle brakes removing the cable. The axle will come outwhen you undo the 4 x14mm bolts . A length of2 inch pipe and 2 pieces of chain 350 mm will make a cheap puller.if you are doing this to remove the diff head, drain the diff first. If youre doing this to do a wheel brg. you may need to make a special tool to press of the brg. The toyota tool, is a isa length of 3 inch pipe 6 inches shorter than the assembled axle/backing plate assy with a flange on each end. one end bolts to the 4 x 14mm bolts of the backing plate and the flange on the other end is supported in the press. the press presses on the inner end of the axle. Bye.

mk3zephyr, Jun 4, 7:13pm
Used to use a Hiace diff in one of my Stockcars, Undo the 4 bolts and the axle will slide on out and the bearings are a bugger of a job, You really need a press to do it, Making up a tool as described in the post above will make the job much easier