Weird noise in Rav 4

Page 1 / 2
ginga4lyfe, Jun 3, 3:28am
maybe check to see if the drive shafts are in correctly, or if the caliper carrier or caliper is tighened down right, something may be binding and slipping!

m16d, Jun 3, 3:33am
Yer got a crook rubber bush in the suspension somewhere.!

cocabowla, Jun 3, 4:16am
loose mounting bolts on bullbar !

paul271, Jun 3, 4:38am
Cvs are common on these. Especially inners, check to see if there is any grooves on the inside of the inner joints. Had a few do that to me. Also the rear diff mounts are common for making a thump too, usually when going from 1st to reverse.

panicky, Jun 3, 5:11am
Have you had the brake discs machined recently!

toyboy3, Jun 3, 5:23am
check the tyre sizesmake sure all the same

mrfxit, Jun 3, 5:29am
LOL na no worrys buddy, thats just the noise the engine makes when it's running ;-)

mrfxit, Jun 3, 5:31am
Will it "do it" in reverse!

mrfxit, Jun 3, 5:33am
Again . braking hard during a LEFT or RIGHT turn or ONLY in a straight line .
Oh & auto or manual. will it do it in gear/ out of gear or no difference

mrfxit, Jun 3, 6:15am
Back on the hoist to do a fine check for suspension wear marks.
Clearly somethings moving that shouldn't be so stands to reason there "should" be some wear/rub marks were there shouldn't be

ladatrouble, Jun 3, 6:42am
Check the rear diff mounts.front and rear.

for_an_angel, Jun 3, 7:56am
Rear diff mounts would be a standard guess or rear sway bar bushes/links. Another issue )common( would be the trans fluid has been changed and someone has used dextron 2 or3 (standed auto fluid) but you need to run Toyota type t4 or Castrol transmax J

hondalova, Jun 3, 7:57am
maybe the ex in the boot, rolling around.

zooki007, Jun 3, 8:03am
Front wheel bearing! Loosen the hub nut very slightly and check for play in bearing. If there is lots of play the hub will be worn. Just done 1 in our workshop today.

goldilocks64, Jun 3, 8:05am
its the diff mount theres two of them and the front top mount will be bugged

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:06am
Easy to replicate handbrake on into drive & sit there dropping the throttle - rear diff mounts most likely but interesting to see if it isnt

zooki007, Jun 3, 8:07am
Even with new diff mounts they knock.

for_an_angel, Jun 3, 8:13am
+1 lol bloody common as needing a dump in the morning

fordcrzy, Jun 3, 8:19am
spray some silicon spray or crc on the suspension strutts where the springs seat on the strutts top and bottom.it could be the springs binding on the seats as they move.

zephyrheaven, Jun 3, 8:20am
True true - I never fixed my nieces one ha ha, maybe Kaz has it now lol

fordcrzy, Jun 3, 8:22am

for_an_angel, Jun 3, 8:33am
Nah no help to be had there mate. the Rav in question there is a 06 model and v6 (not available in NZ) but the fault is the intermediate steering shaft (field fix) Recall in 2007 UK and 2009 NZ 4cyl models

fordcrzy, Jun 3, 8:40am
the rav 4 site may be of some help though.

glennalan, Jun 3, 8:45am
I had a similar noise in an old toyota Corona, the diff bearing came loose in housing and rotated when load taken off ie under deceleration. Sit on axle stand to test.

mrfxit, Jun 4, 7:46pm
Is it fixed yet