Storing fuel at home

icemans1, Jun 5, 4:29am
does anyone know the maximum amount that can be stored for insurance purposes! TIA

mrcat1, Jun 5, 4:32am
I don't know if it effects insurance but ERMA have a ruling of something like a maximum of 50 liters or so of petrol.

grangies, Jun 5, 4:45am
It will depend upon where the fuel is stored.

As in, just on the garage floor, will be limited.

But if you had a concrete dangerous goods store, with a blast proof door, you could probably store several hundred litres.

icemans1, Jun 5, 4:47am
petrol in plastic fuel tanks, stored on garage floor

grangies, Jun 5, 4:55am

noswalg, Jun 5, 5:04am
I would imagine ERMA or local bylaws may have requirements for bunding over a certain amount to minimise the risk of pollution to stormwater drains

pollymay, Jun 5, 5:18am
Lol whoops if you add up all the cars I have on the yard plus the stuff in storage it would be like 500 litres

saffa2, Jun 5, 5:38am
I keep them in an old dead fridge, locked.

johnf_456, Jun 5, 5:48am
That site has some funny wording.:Never remove the cap from a petrol tank while the engine is hot, combustible vapour can flow out and come in contact with manifolds, exhaust pipes and other hot engine parts.

Never remove the cap from a petrol tank while the engine is hot, combustible vapour can flow out and come in contact with manifolds, exhaust pipes and other hot engine parts.

Very mmmm when you think about it when you fill up at the gas station.

franc123, Jun 5, 7:11am
LMAO, we all know the biggest danger on servo forecourts is spark creation, either from static or by other means, even then only when the conditions are right for igniting it.I don't think a hot exhaust manifold at the opposite end of the car has ever caused an explosion somehow.

grangies, Jun 5, 7:19am
NZ's Tax revenue, pays for that utter nonsense to be written.

rob_man, Jun 5, 7:35am
Some people think a cigarette will ignite petrol, been watching too many movies. If you drop a lit cigarette in a tin of petrol it will simply extinguish it.
Same with a bullet hitting a can of gas, it will just make a hole.
The one that really cracks me up though is the fear of igniting diesel, ever tried to set fire to diesel!

richms, Jun 5, 7:50am
Thats why I use my bluetooth when on the forecourt ;)

johnf_456, May 10, 9:53am
Mythbusters explains this very well for anyone who doesn't know.