Basic Car Mods! VR4

Page 1 / 3
dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:15am
I have a 96 mits galant VR4 Twin Turbo V6 24 valve all stock except for pod filter.
Im wanting to slowly do up my car but need a starter. Do u think i should start with a boost gauge and boost controller.!

ginga4lyfe, May 31, 9:17am
i think if you dont have insurance you should start with that, then ask them what there policies are on mods

jasongroves, May 31, 9:17am
Start with a decent cold air intake set up and a good quality exhaust.get it breathing right first;)
Boost gauge isnt important yet.
If you do buy a good electronic boost controller, it will have a digital boost read out anyway.

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:19am
got any suggestions on a way to get this cold air intake! oh and i have insurance

johnf_456, May 31, 9:19am
Ding, the amount of people who spend so much on bling and mods they neglect to have money for insurance and maintenance.

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:22am
Maintenance wouldnt b a issue for me. Iv got a good family mechanic.

jasongroves, May 31, 9:23am
google;)
if you wish to keep the pod filter, build a heat shielding box around it to keep the heat out of the intake.
Or just buy a good quality panel filter and run some ducting directly to it.

phillip.weston, May 31, 9:24am
I would say a boost gauge is important for the 6A12's, you don't want to be running over 15psi without the fueling to be spot on otherwise you'll have rods sticking out the side of the block.

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:25am
sweet will do. thanks

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:26am
So i shouldnt be running more than 15psi otherwise i stuff my engine! lol

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:27am
What about a front mount intercooler!

johnf_456, May 31, 9:28am
Correct without the supporting mods, but to be honest I'd leave it stock and just install a boost guage if you really really wish.

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:29am
I guess thats the first thing i would do. get a boost controller and gauge. yea!

snowballs4, May 31, 9:32am
Link g4 seriously!

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:35am
Pardon!

grangies, May 31, 9:36am
Your engine is going to stuff out no matter what.

As soon as you start throwing all the mods on it, it will eventually shit itself, sooner than, if you had of just left it alone.

Just leave it alone, unless you know what you are doing LOL.

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:39am
It doesnt hurt to install a boost guage in it though!

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:40am
I have two cars this one im messing around with,well its my sisters lol but shes gone to aussy haha and its just sitting around.

taintedkitten, May 31, 9:42am
So you'll spend a lot of money on it only to have your sister take it off you when she's back!

What's the point!

flockton55, May 31, 9:43am
Anything for VR4, do not go past http://www.clubvr4.com/
I had one for several years, the info here is the best.There is a NZ chapter of the club and members in most cities.Well worth joining, all the info on mods, repairs, info, parts, events etc.

_peas, May 31, 9:43am
Is this Galant an automatic!If so I would just keep it as is and prolong the life of a fairly sketchy transmission.Putting more power/torque through this will just end in tears and a pricey repair bill not far down the track.

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:44am
Nah its mine, shes not coming back. she doesnt want it.

flockton55, May 31, 9:45am
Aren't the VR4s using the 6A13TT! I thought 6A12 was the NA 2.5 and SOHC!

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:45am
If it was I would have nothing to do with it. Manual all the way!

dyln.sampson, May 31, 9:46am
Weird bcos On the engine badge it says 6a12TT