Today I was asked for a rear (rare?) earth magnet

bjdw, May 20, 9:08am
What that!

nathanmac, May 20, 9:12am
isn't the whole of earth a magnet!there's only one so iguess it's pretty rare, but then again we all have to share it.hard to put a value on it though, might be best to ask in real estate!

NZTools, May 20, 9:15am
Where's the "Like" button!

chris.f, May 20, 9:41am
Rare earth magnets are cool, used to get them quite often when I was a scrappy, they were mostly used in computer hard drives - the commonest are made from neodymium.

pico42, May 20, 9:52am
As it happens, I have been adjusting a speedo and have found that one of the main components is a rare earth magnet.

Hopefully I haven't stuffed the speedo though.

cuda.340, May 20, 11:05am
have ever seen what rare eath magnets do to your electricity power meter spining thingy when you stick the magnets on your meter!

whqqsh, May 20, 5:36pm
strip apart an old microwave & youll find two of them (doughnut shaped) in the magnatron, just be careful as they are really powerful, Ive seen quite a few people with mutiple fingertip blood blisters as they clamp together (one guy got all four fingers & thumb lol) & you have to slide them sideways to get them apart

kenw1, May 21, 7:32am
They make a BioMag look pretty sick.

noswalg, May 21, 7:59am
No but about 15 yrs ago my flatmate chucked one on the meter box and we got our $250 power bill wiped and a new meter when the power company deciderd our's was faulty. He just told me it started doing funny things!

falconer, May 21, 8:16am
I use them for by model dioramas. check out my moto cross bikes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=3GMOjZ_S-U0

falconer, Apr 14, 5:01pm
Always rescue the rare earth magnet from disposed microwave magnatrons They a very powerfull and handy to have around.