2004 Holden Astra

Page 2 / 2
ringo2, May 26, 4:57am
So you want to compare $40k Hyundai cars with a $100K BMW or Mercedes. Amazing that Hyundai are winning COTY and other awards internationally against all comers.

smac, May 26, 5:56am
This is weird, can't find any plate anywhere. A few stickers, ACHTUNG! in a few places but nothing with build info or a VIN.

zetec, May 26, 9:13am
Actually the European souced Barina was built in Spain, the Astra was German built, but the last of the 1998 - 2004 series (Classic) were bulit in Poland. My daughter has a 2001, its done 155km, she has had it for 20km, its been reliable to date, it needed the strut top bushes replaced which made it ride and handle better, an annoying fault is the auto release button falls off at times, Holden wanted $450 to replace the assembly. I will be looking for a second hand part! I prefer the auto, the manual has a notchy change. They are a solid car, I would not rate it as good as the Focus of the same era, but it is decent to drive. They also have very good underbody protection and seem resistant to rust.

thejazzpianoma, May 27, 5:23am
What made you think that!
VW's start at just 25K with technology that's well ahead of what Hyundai are using. Even Skoda being their entry level brand still uses the cutting edge VW group technology and they compete directly with Hyundai's pricing over much of their range.

Hyundai are getting better, no doubt about that and the latest round of SUV's are just starting to get competitive. But they are still have a little catching up to do and are far from exceeding what Europe has to offer.

thejazzpianoma, May 27, 5:34am
Out of curiosity on what basis do you think it is actually German made!
It still seems a bit fishy to me, usually if something is made in Germany its well signposted for all to see.

The German ACHTUNG! dosn't necessarily mean anything I have seen plenty of those stickers on cars made all over the shop.

Something you may find interesting, have a Google of "Holden Astra Belgium", seems like I am not the only one to think thats where they came from. However in fairness also google "Holden Astra Germany".

I do notice a lot of sites are quite sneaky and word things like "engineered in Germany" which to me is a clear attempt to gloss over the cars being at least assembled elsewhere.

Happy to be proved wrong on this BTW, I could well be wrong but would be interested on the exact outcome as if there are a mix of Belgium/German cars on the road here it may make some sense of the mixed bag of reliability experience's people seem to have with them.

thejazzpianoma, May 27, 5:37am
I have to run but just curious as to what basis you have concluded the Astra's were German! It would be great you have a definitive source.

I totally agree about the Barina's coming from Spain, that was my understanding too, I just didn't want to confirm that earlier as its only "what I had heard".

richard198, May 27, 5:44am
You can forgive a lot in exchange for an Italian engine!

corsac01, May 27, 5:51am
One of mine is German assembled too - it an '04 3 door SRi.That is what shows on Carjam, also if you use a VIN decoder website it tells you the name of the plant it was manufactured in.

I've bought 6 Astras and a Barina XC, and they again have all been trouble free.

The SRi model with the 2.2 engine is a good bet as it doesnt have a cambelt, so no expensive servicing every 60,000 km.

corsac01, May 27, 6:02am
A quick google of "Astra G" resulted in a wikipedia page.According to that it was assembled in:

Bochum, Germany
Antwerp, Belgium
São Caetano do Sul, Brazil
Port Elizabeth, South Africa[2]
Gliwice, Poland
Togliatti, Russia
Ellesmere Port, England
6th of October City, Egypt
Grugliasco, Italy (Cabrio & Coupe)[3]
Zaporizhia, Ukraine (AvtoZAZ)[4]
Rayong, Thailand (Opel/GM)

thejazzpianoma, May 27, 7:09am
Interesting, lines up well with the German assembled = trouble free theory.

thejazzpianoma, May 27, 7:14am
The catch is that covers all Astras regardless of manufacturer badge. If you wiki "Holden Astra" they are saying the fourth Generation are Belgian built which is what I thought. However. remember that is wikipedia who are not famous for accuracy with regard to this sort of information. Just the nature of "open source" data unfortunately.

Of course "Holden Astra" covers Australia too. perhaps they got the Belgian ones and we got genuine German ones! Its also worth noting that the registration details as entered with the LTSA are not necessarily accurate either.

So really. who knows! Does sound like most or all of ours are in fact German though!

Thanks for replying, its been interesting!

zetec, May 27, 8:12am
Hi Jazz, I had forgotten about Opel's Belgian plant,. so yes they could have come from there. Didn't that plant close when GM and therefore Opel were in dire financial peril in 2008! The VIN number is the way to be sure, but only if you know the code which I don't. Carjam says Germany though and I have generally found them accurate for NZ new vehicles.

grangies, May 27, 8:33am
I remember seeing a show on TV .

It was about the world's biggest GM factory, which was in Spain.

smac, May 27, 9:11am
My impression was just based on labelling, and the fact the MVR says it's country of origin is Germany. I'll see what I can find out with the VIN tomorra.

thejazzpianoma, May 27, 9:38am
Sounds about right to me, the ones I thought were Belgian were the 98-05 models so that would line up.
The previous shape I thought were the British ones. Then there were the Polish onesI thought were just one of the "hotter versions" or at least one specific version of the 4th generation (can't remember what they were called sorry). But it sounds like from what you were saying that there may have been more 4th generation ones that were made in Poland.
Talk about a mixed bag!

thejazzpianoma, May 27, 9:41am
The MVR together with the labeling certainly does point to that. Sorry it probably sounds like me being pedantic or clutching at straws but it wouldn't surprise me that much though if the MVR is wrong. Unlikely though when you consider both points together. It also lines up with what we think are the "German" ones being quite well made and reliable.

treachug, May 27, 10:31am
Have a look on right hand B pillar near the drivers door lock striker. VIN plate on placed there.
Also have a look at the right hand floor trim (scuffplate) on the floor between the drivers seat & outer door opening edge/sill. You will see a rectangular cover in the trim, flick that out & under that is the vin number as well - stamped into the floor. Most nz new & jap imports were made in (various plants) Germany inc Russelsheim (sp!), the later Astra Classic models (last of the Astra G series) were made in Poland

treachug, May 27, 10:37am
Independent rear axle! Really! since when! - all Astras are beam rear axle - Astra F's, G's, H's

outbidyou2, May 27, 10:42am
No Sh*t, do you think you are clever

buyme3, May 27, 10:45am
its a holden, steer clear

treachug, May 27, 11:41am
ummm no, i dont actually. The original poster couldnt find his vin plate - i am just trying to help the guy. Bad day today was it!

smac, May 27, 8:23pm
Thanks treachug, will take a look. Appreciated by me, if not by that muppet.

julian.walls, May 28, 11:17am
Crap about 90s Opel Vectras been rust buckets - not all were and many are still on the road! - I own one as my daily driver I drive a 1990 Opel Vectra A 2000 16v (the one with hot Calibra 16v engine and 5sp Zf gearbox)mine is one of probaby 25 of 100 left of road NZ new! (one was raced on NZ Targa in 2010)as it was quite a step up from the GLS sedan and GT Hatch which were 8v; costing $53000 new for 16v sedan (I paid $5900 in 2003) vs GLS at $38000 and GT at $36000 new - 2000 16v was loaded with extras as standard it had the ABS and air conditioning - it was made in Germany and to this day its only started to get a bit rust in edge of the doors , While Other Vectras of the A were made in the UK they arrived here as Vauxhalls and badges were removed by GM NZ to Opels; they had less rust protection and were UK built!

As for comment of one commentors that is Opel Corsa was made in Germany - Rubbish No they were made in Spain up until 2001 (have a look at your handbook!)- My partners 94 model has been the most reliable car she has owned - (had it since 2003)
It was sad day when that Daewoo piece of rubbish took over from the Spanish built Opel - in fact last of Opel Corsas based Barinas are still maintaining their value and highly sought after - I rather be in an Opel in a crash rather then a Asian tin box!

Earier Opels like my Manta C Gsi Coupe liftback were made in Belgium and NZ got 100 of those NZ new 1986-1988 all RHD all liftbacks except 2 coupes ordered by Dealer wifes

Has anybody got a Opel Vectra B SRi - I sorry to disappoint you its just a skirt job -GM Holden took a standard Vectra and gave it to Grant of Maidstone Panel and Paint here in Upper Hutt to repaint and add skirts - I watched him build them - he told me he got the contract - Maidstone to this day still use the GM Holden paint spray facilities at the old Trentham plantfor their repair of Lexus cars as they are a accredited repairer!
Some Vectra Bs were Australian built and some UK - Australian cars had quality issues here so i have been toldit went back to the UK after that (afterall NZ still got prefential tarriff with the mother country) -this discussion in on NZ news cars (now the Imports from Japan and Singapore may have been Asian made .i was told years ago where.not sure now)
As for later Astras NZ newI was under standing that some were Australian built and some were British.and Belgium. I was not aware that the last of them came from Poland .- I do not think Asia is where they come from!
I heard news that Australias are going to import Opels to add to their line and these will come from Asia.

Personally it was big mistake to change Opel name to Holden

sgrants, Apr 12, 4:51pm
Yep I'd 2nd that!
And Ha Ha Julian "Crap about 90s Opel Vectras been rust buckets - not all were and many are still on the road! - I own one as my daily driver I drive a 1990 Opel Vectra A 2000 16v (the one with hot Calibra 16v engine and 5sp Zf gearbox) mine is one of probaby 25 of 100 left of road NZ new!"
Probably not that many still on the road (1 out of 4) it's not the rust it's the hell over the top price for spare parts and the huge waiting time for the agents to get the parts into the country!