Trailer braking .

trader_84, May 27, 8:32pm
I recently completed building a new tanden car transporter trailer. It is fitted with hydraulic trailer brakes (disc) on the front axle. The coupling is the type that slides/compresses actuating the master cylinder which in turn applies the brakes. Problem . my old trailers brakes worked great . as in you could be driving along and as soon as you let your foot off the gas you could feel the trailer pull you up . where as this new one is different . take your foot off and you don't slow up at all. Question . whats the problem! It almost feels like that big spring inside the coupling is too strong/has too much tension! Your thoughts please. Ta.

rod525, May 27, 8:39pm
More like the old coupling spring tension was weak with age and you were used to that.

mrfxit, May 27, 9:11pm
Shouldn't make any real difference just slowing down but you should be able to feel the difference when braking.
Trailer brakes are more of a "compensating for weight" brake device rather then anything directly effecting the tow vehicle directly.

trader_84, May 27, 10:50pm
Yep, understood. A mate said it was probably a weight related matter also. I liked the way the old trailer pulled you up. The tow vehicle is not overly endowed in terms of breaking ability either (a 93' 4x4 Hiluc D/C) or in towing power, lol! The power thing is going to be sorted with a 1KZTE I've bought. but its the braking issue that worries me. I see they have a 'light weight' spring option also listed for these couplings . i wonder what I was sold! Ok, cheers.

mrfxit, May 27, 10:53pm
Which Hilux is this, the small body ute or the Surf size body.
The Surf size body has 4 piston calipers on the front & easily out perform the tyres

dagwood1, May 27, 11:13pm
How would override brakes ever "pull up" the towing vehicle!
As soon as the trailer started slowing down more quickly than the car, the car would be pulling the coupling forward thus releasing the brakes.

trader_84, May 27, 11:18pm
Its a LN106 . the same size as a Surf. It has rebuilt brakes in the rear (including skimmed drums) and new rotors and pads in the front. The calipers are the twin pot type and are in good servicable condition. I drive this thing like a car most times . and probably expect a bit too much from it at times. Tough as fuck though when it gets played with and does not break. Heres a pic of it trying out the trailer before the trailer went away to get dipped.

mrfxit, May 27, 11:39pm
Shouldn't have a problem with 'braking" , tho might have a problem with locking the front brakes
Also if they are the same calipers as the 88 Surf then they would be 4 pot (2 pistons PER side of the rotor)

Can't really imagine they downgraded for the later Surf!

mccjohnny, May 28, 3:18am
Have you adjusted the coupling to actuate the brakes at the correct time! also is the brake cylinder on the coupling big enough to drive the braking system on your trailer!

jrlaw, Apr 10, 1:45pm
Try backing, if working you will trouble moving back .