Interesting Pink Sticker Debacle - Wrong Car

Page 1 / 2
zephyrheaven, May 24, 6:20am
So an irate customer rang up today from NZ post telling me I hadnt given his car a WOF back in January - strange, Ok maybe I forgot to log it or got the plate wrong et al (human error syndrome) but nay - I had done all of my end right, so ring LTNZ or is it NZTS or whatever $16,000,000 taxpayer funded name change they want this week - and uh oh this car has been pink stickered by Mr Plod rendering it UnWOF'ed at the same time.

The plot thickens, this is a nana's non turbo impreza complete with lovely FWD trans & hubcaps - how could it possibly be 'pinkied' one thinks to himself!

It hasnt.PC fathumbs has punched in the wrong digits but you wouldnt believe the flaming hoops poor old Joe Carowner has to go thru to get this righted

Grizzle end.

smac, May 24, 6:22am
How come if you'd got the WoF wrong in the first place (it's happened to my car) it's just human error syndrome and no big deal, but if a cop does it it's a debacle!

zephyrheaven, May 24, 6:32am
Have you ever tried having a pink sticker removed me old smaccer!

ema1, May 24, 6:46am
Hi Zeph. I had a similar thing happen to me years ago.
Not a pink sticker suffice to say but the same scenario with a letter arriving inthe mail from the Invercargill City Council no less stating that a Subaru DL 1980 car I owned at the time was spotted and booked for not having a current WOF!
I thought to myself how in heck could this be as I only bought it about 20 days earlier and the date was "booked" was within the time of me owning it.
Thing is the Subaru had a WOF issued 1 day prior to me buying it and I took the label carefully off the screen and the butt from the WOF book from the particular local garage that checked the car and issued the WOF.
I had photo copied both the screen label & WOF book butt and sent them off to In/gill C.C. with a rather irate letter explaining the fact that I had at that stage had never ever been to In/gill in my life ( that's a fact) !
All I got back was one hell of an abusive letter back with PAY UP OR ELSE OR FURTHER PROCEEDINGS WILL BE ENTERED INTO sort of thing.
Damn it I though .ignorant sods so I promptly got on the phone to them and asked for the person in charge of traffic infringements and got a right snotty nosed type on the phone who in the first instance said they were right "by hook or by crook".
I asked him to pull up the charge sheet or whatever and asked him to tell me what make of car was and the color of it this infringement was written out for, well after about 20mins of waiting the guy came back and said the car in question was a red Hillman Hunter 1976 to which I promptly said well my car is a very noticeable kermit green and was a Subaru 1600 DL 1980.
Bugger me he went and said I don't believe you, I said well then that's your damn problem as the rego must have been either written incorrectly or deciphered incorrectly at your end.
With that he said he would look into it and reply by mail with the result, a week later comes a very curt letter saying"On checking regoes etc a mistake had been made and no further action would be taken AT THIS TIME.
No thank you or apology or kiss my foot, so I sent a letter off the the In/gill C.CChief Executive & the mayor stating what I came up against in no uncertain terms, also stating that I had never been to In/giil in my life and am not going to anytime in the future seeing I got the run around like I did.
What do you know I got a letter back on mayoral paper apologizing profusely.
All this took almost .phew 5 weeks in all.
Sorry this post is long winded but it had to be said .

zephyrheaven, May 24, 7:00am
Youve never been to Invercargill & only live a couple of hours away!! For shame ha ha

That & the ICC are nearly as bad as the DCC but nowhere near as bad as the CCC whom I think may have found an old Nazi handbook on training the SS on how to carry out their orders

ema1, May 24, 7:13am
Been there a few times since though Zeph I must say, but my folks tended to go to Dunedin as we had lots of relations there and more northwards rather than southwards and it sort of stuck funnily enough!
I do go to Te Anau & Manapouri every week in my work though, funny thing I had never been those places prior either.
I enjoy the drive down there and back too.

ema1, May 24, 7:14am
More like Geheme Statz Politzi or Gestapo for short.

cuda.340, May 24, 7:16am
seig hail!

ema1, May 24, 7:17am
Everything seems to go around in never decreasing circles with them and guess what .we as tax payers are paying for that "Merry Go Round." Monty Pythons Flying Circus I reckon could get better results.
Ha ha cops of the Keystone variety comes to mind at times.

smac, May 24, 7:19am
Can we "plead the 5th" in this country!

ema1, May 24, 7:21am
Strewth they'd go into never decreasing circles if we could and they'd loose the plot completely.
Heck don't make things more complicated than they already are.

mothergoose_nz, May 24, 8:34am
we registered our van while on holiday in temuka.months later back home a mate noticed our van was registered as a toyota caldina.we had been given the wrong sticker and never noticed.

loose.unit8, May 24, 9:22am
My old man went to wof/rego one of a the vans at his work a few months ago and the wof place picked up that the chassis number was wrong.The chassis number was looked up in the database and it turned out to be one of the other work vans.My Dad asked how that could be, had the plates somehow been switched!!Nope.Kms recorded in the wof system for the van going for the wof, matched the plate that was on it.

What it turned out had happened was, both vans had been bought new from the ford dealership at the same time and the plates had been swapped right at the start.For the next 6 years, they had always been wofed at the same place and serviced at the ford dealership.No one picked up they were the wrong vans for the plates they had.My Dad had freaking terrible time sorting that one out between the dealership, the wof place and VTNZ!

-slevin, May 24, 6:35pm
haha love it!

zephyrheaven, May 24, 7:10pm
Dont laugh - thats what it cost in stationary & signage last time they changed it & they wonder while smart people are leaving in droves lol

johnf_456, May 24, 9:50pm
Tell me about it, go where the money is. Especially if labour wants to get in again and penalize the high income folk even more than what they pay now. When 5% pay more than half the countrys tax already.

johnf_456, May 24, 9:51pm
They are shocking, try explaining to them what a 5 digit odometer is and the last digit being in M not Km.

mk3zephyr, May 25, 1:24am
Carjam what a laugh, I got my old HDT Commy WOF'ed and it had 183K on the clock, Had a look on Carjam and it then said it had 783K on the clock, Thats a heck of a lot of driving between warrants, Also got a ticket in the mail about 6 months or so back for a speed camera infringement in Oamaru, Thing is i have never been to Oamaru in my life, even got a letter from my employer stating i was at work on the date and time the ticket was issued (I Work in New Plymouth), but no they made me pay it. Nazi's

johnf_456, May 25, 1:26am
You should of taken it further mk3zephyr, no one should have to pay a ticket for something they did not do. Should of asked for a photo.

smac, May 25, 2:11am
ummm yeah, paying that without the photo is kinda weird.

Oh and 783k on an odo isn't carjam's fault.it's the muppet inspector

elv, May 25, 10:34am
I've had symilar things happen before around 2006. I don't muck around - I let them take it to court - have them laughed at in court - and then claim costs against them. Cost the police about $5000 for high court appeal for an incorrectly issued $80 ticket - which they lost. To their own admission under oath - they did not know the colour of the car, make of the car, model of the car or registration number of the car at the time of the offence - but they found me driving my car two streets away. Not a great use of taxpayer money - but they got a hammering from the judge. I've kept all the transcripts - it was frustrating then but I can laugh about it now.

franc123, May 25, 10:43am
What!How can an incorrect vehicle description entered into LANDATA be a WOF inspectors error!All that is entered when the car is first registered by NZTA agents, based on info given to them FFS.In case you hadn't noticed, testing stations do a large proportion of WOF's in NZ and its often the office staff that enter inspection details, not inspectors themselves.If an odometer entry error does occur its not hard to see that its an error by looking at the graphs.

zephyrheaven, May 26, 12:56am
Update: you would not believe the hoops this poor lady is having to jump thru to prove the car isnt the one thats been stickered, they actually had the gall at NZpolice to say "why dont you just go & get a WOF at a testing station then!" lol - I guess they are getting used to submission of the average person so treat everyone the same

johnf_456, May 26, 1:12am
That is utter shocking, they are probably use to people doing as they are told like mk3zephyr paying for a speeding ticket he didn't do even deserve. By paying up and doing as you are told people are only encouraging unfair justice and making the idiots accountable.

smac, May 26, 1:21am
SO when she said "no thanks" what have they said she has to do!