Car for my 17 year old

Page 1 / 2
doug64, May 23, 10:50am
Promised him a car if passes and gets uni.And has clean restricted licence an saved $1000 for insurance excess.

Unlike his older brother, looks like he will get it.

What cheap car would you suggest.He is studying automotive engineering and is a mechanic at the local go cart track at weekends

ginga4lyfe, May 23, 10:52am
A Nissan Pulsar, Toyota Corolla, All depends on what you are willing to fork out and what is available

phillip.weston, May 23, 11:00am
toyota cavalier

michael.benn, May 23, 11:04am
*waits for jazz*

jono2912, May 23, 11:04am
Ha.

jono2912, May 23, 11:04am
Ask what he wants!

chip8, May 23, 11:06am
Non Turbo Toyota Levin manual.

foxdonut, May 23, 11:06am
What kind of kid is he! Does he hang out with retards! If so, 'cef, Skyline, 'lude, silvia, any Subaru, falling apart Mitsi lancer or something with a large wing, financed chrome wheels and spray paint black bonnet will be well received.

If he's a bit more clued in and wants a cool car he can work on and improve (not rice) then Golf, XJ6, mini, cheap Alfa Romeo, AW11, Pug 106 etc

Or, if he just needs something that gets from A to b and doesn't break down often - Accord, Commodore, Falcon, Corolla.

doug64, May 23, 11:09am
No retarded, has rebuilt friend cars.Mitzi rvr. Wants something that can chuck bikes in.Wants station wagon or vw bus!Wonder why!:-)

franc123, May 23, 11:10am
!He's 17 not 45!

richard198, May 23, 11:12am
17 with a large mechanics tool chest and a bike as well by the looks of it.
This is a v6 not the slow 4.

doug64, May 23, 11:17am
He actually does like it

thejazzpianoma, May 23, 12:09pm
What constitutes cheap! A rough idea of budget would be great.
Given he has mechanical aptitude there are some interesting possibilities open to him that may mean he can get a real bargain.

Also, with student life beckoning I would suggest considering fuel costs in the equation. Having a cheap to run car is fantastic as a student, its no fun wanting to go on a road trip and not being able to afford to run the car.

sw20, May 23, 7:52pm
LOL the V6 wasn't quick either.

phillip.weston, May 23, 8:01pm
plenty of other cars more suitable than a Camry which would be able to be reliable, quick enough and appealing to a 17 year old.

ct9a, May 23, 8:25pm
double cab hilux

kcf, May 23, 9:29pm
Tools and bike sounds like a job for a van really.Hiaces are good, other than rust of course :-)

tmenz, May 23, 9:33pm
My son tried a variety of cars including a V6 Windom before settling on a 2000 1.8L Toyota Corolla wagon. Has has some relatively minor hiccoughs but generally reliable. Has had it several years now and swears by it. Carries bikes et.al. with ease and is easy on the fuel consumption. Not a thief magnet either.

jsbike, May 23, 9:56pm
Owning one sort of car does not make you a retard any more than owning another makes you cool. Thinking of everyone in a stereotypical way in which their car defines who or what they are is more retarded.

mj.scott, May 23, 10:07pm
Now now,
Not all who drive said "retards" cars are infact retards. I own a very nice tidy well looked after reliable Skyline r34 gtt. Never gives me issues and i can guarantee you i don't look like a "retard" driving it. Although in sayin that i wouldn't reccommend any 17yr old boy having a turbo vehicle of any type as there first car as i know one too many who have gotten over excited and written off their prized turbo.
I reckon a toyota or nissan as a nice cheap and reliable but slightly cool runabout for a first car. Cheap to pick up parts for and easy to work on from a mechanical point of view.
Euro cars tend to be harder to find parts for and more expensive parts wise too.

trader127, May 23, 10:49pm
Maserati Quattroporte!

antwerp87, May 23, 11:32pm
Bugatti Veyron

johnf_456, May 24, 12:21am
Corolla, 323, familia, sunny, lancer, pulsar etc even a toyota levin.

johnf_456, May 24, 12:22am
Yup cheap to insure and good on look kind of sporty.

mugenb20b, May 24, 12:25am
And how is he going to carry motorbikes and tools in the back of those cars!